Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connections

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I just wanted to ask about this network I am currently connected to. I'm at a friend's house am my laptop is detecting a faint network called belkin54g. I am assuming it has not been given a proper name or even security since I am using it right now but what I am interested (and annoyed by) is how unreliable it is.

Some observations I have made are at certain times it's gone all together, not a trace of it. But for most of the time it is detected, the laptop cannot connect to it, but my ipod touch can. How does that work out? When I try connecting on the laptop sometimes it will say it simply cannot connect and other times it will say that the router needs to be set up. Well that makes no sense, why would it need to be set up for the laptop to connect if it is connected right now and the ipod touch can connect whenever it wants? Very confusing and I just wanted to find out if anyone had any ideas.

On that note is it possible to find the router's 8 digit pin number through the network?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Is this your friends network, because it sue sounds to me like it's a neighbors. If so, I highly doubt anyone is going to help you hack a neighbors' network.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I'm trying to hack anything, I'm not even there anymore. I just wanted to find out why it was behaving the way it was.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'm trying to hack anything, I'm not even there anymore. I just wanted to find out why it was behaving the way it was.

I just wanted to ask about this network I am currently connected to.

seems to be contradictory...

in any case....why you would be concerned about the reliability of a network that you don't own or have permission to connect to is beyond me....you don't own it, you don't have permission to use it...so don't connect to it...solves the problem doesn't it?