Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying and changing new PC case,please help!

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi SpyderTurbo007 ,For the front panel USB I just cut a small notch out of the back of the case which I will run the cable through.When you say Power output failure,do you just mean if the molex power output I use for the fans fails and the rest of the molex power connectors work,the pc will run but the fans will be down thus generating Heat and burning up the Components?I normally give the PC a check from time to time and just use it at home so I can hear the fans running in the background.All of my fans have these Pass through 4 pin molex connectors,would it be ok to use 4 pin to 3pin adapters?I have not opened the case yet to check for MOBO fan connectors but I had a look at the specs and it says it supports 1 x Chassis Fan(would that be the exhaust fan?).When I was browsing the web for hdmi tv to pc connection I came across that issue aswell,mainly it was related to getting video but no audio through HDMI and this is one of the things concerning me as I don't want too much hassle setting up the TV with the PC,A few years back I connected my old laptop to an old style 32" TV using S-Video to SCART and headphone out to PHONO and it took me a while trying to figure out how to set it up(It was a pain!).When I tried connecting the Plasma TV to my desktop using the VGA splitter I got no image on the TV and the image on the monitor was like two images of the desktop with one image super-imposed over the other but further to the right by about 10mm and I thought to myself here we go again!,I couldnt be bothered with the hassle and started looking into other forms of connection and a Graphics card update all though the more expensive,seemed the easiest and simplest option.

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Happyrock! I don't use my PC for gaming at all so it does not have to be an expensive card.I would like to spend as little as possible but can go £100 at the MAX if need be.Bignogin advised me to go for a card that I was going to go for if it will be compatible with my MOBO but TBH I did not really want to go to my max of £100 for a card!(I was really hoping £50-£70 tops but as I say I can stretch to £100 if I have to)I had my eye on a card that had an HDMI connector (for my plasma to PC)and a VGA connector(for my lcd monitor to pc)....I want to use HDMI to HDMI for TV to PC connection.....But Bignogin did not know if this card would have any audio issues.TBH I did not even know if the card I was looking at myself was any better than the integrated card I have on the MOBO(I could have been taking a step back in Hardware!)I don't have the slightest clue about Graphics cards and would appreciate advice from someone who knows a fair bit about 'em.I have an ASUS p5n-mx low spec MOBO with integrated Graphics and sound Geforce 7050/Nforce 610i so a card that is slightly better than this one but does all the stuff I want would be great.I only really want to run my PC with my Monitor and TV at the same time so I can watch Movies on my Big screen or browse the web on it.If you could check out my Post in the Hardware forum and give me some advice that would be grand(even better if you can get me a better card for around £50!) http://www.geekstogo...MI-t264985.html

Edited by mrpooh3, 14 January 2010 - 05:08 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Hi SpyderTurbo007 ,For the front panel USB I just cut a small notch out of the back of the case which I will run the cable through.

That works for me. :)

When you say Power output failure,do you just mean if the molex power output I use for the fans fails and the rest of the molex power connectors work,the pc will run but the fans will be down thus generating Heat and burning up the Components?

Yep, that's what I was talking about. I've seen it happen before although it's very rare. Once customer had a PSU output die that was attached to their hard drive. I ended up swapping to another and she fired right up.

All of my fans have these Pass through 4 pin molex connectors,would it be ok to use 4 pin to 3pin adapters?

I've never had the need to do that before, but there is no reason I can see why that wouldn't work. These days they make and adapter for everything. :)

I have not opened the case yet to check for MOBO fan connectors but I had a look at the specs and it says it supports 1 x Chassis Fan(would that be the exhaust fan?).

That can be used for any case fan you want and doesn't matter. As long as you make sure you use the CPU fan for the CPU. Other than that, it's your choice.

When I was browsing the web for hdmi tv to pc connection I came across that issue aswell,mainly it was related to getting video but no audio through HDMI and this is one of the things concerning me as I don't want too much hassle setting up the TV with the PC

I'm sure happyrock will be able to get you all fixed up. He's pretty good at this stuff. :)

I would definitely look for something that supports HDCP just because internal Blu-Ray players are getting so cheap. I'm sure at one point you'll want to add a BDD drive. They require HDCP compliance.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for a good $100.00 video card...
as for HDMI...how long a cable are you going to use...if its under 10 feet you shouldn't have any problems...with this HDCP exception...

When I was browsing the web for hdmi tv to pc connection I came across that issue aswell,mainly it was related to getting video but no audio through HDMI and this is one of the things concerning me as I don't want too much hassle setting up the TV with the PC

Buy a HDTV that is HDCP compliant or else be prepared to shake hands with the devil whenever you use HDMI or DVI cables.

The reason I refer to HDCP as the devil is because HDCP is quite possibly one of the worst TV technologies because it stands at the alter of controlling the way we watch digital programming. While the intent of HDCP is noble -- to protect copyrighted material -- the disruption it causes law-abiding TV watchers is far too significant to ignore.

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection and was developed by Intel Corporation. It's nothing more than a security feature requiring compatibility between the sender and receiver, like HD cable set-top box and the TV. By compatibility, I mean HDCP technology built into both devices.

Think of HDCP as a security license key like you would input when installing a computer program. Only this security key is invisible to you and me but not your TV.

It works by encrypting a digital signal with a key that requires authentication from the transmitting and receiving product. If authentication fails then the signal fails, which means no picture on the TV screen....more here

Edited by happyrock, 15 January 2010 - 08:43 AM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Happyrock,After reading that,(I did'nt even know there was such a thing as HDCP)I realised I am going to have problems.First of all I am going to have to find out if my TV is HDCP compliant(it is only just over a year old....I think)My suspicion is that it is because I hooked up my dads lappy to it using both vga and s-video to scart and it was as if the TV just does not recognise it whereas I previously hooked their lappy up to their LCD with a VGA to VGA and it worked fine.The second problem I have is that I will need an HDMI cable at 7.5 metres long.After reading a little about the HDCP stuff I was pretty disgusted as I am sure alot of consumers are going to be,I did come across something called HD fury though that supposedly will break this encryption.At the moment I am still contemplating which way to go about getting it hooked up.My current monitor is not Hi-Def,would that be a problem if I had an HDCP graphics card?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

My current monitor is not Hi-Def,would that be a problem if I had an HDCP graphics card?

nope...not at all

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Hapyrock,I was looking at a cheaper card on Amazon which is HDCP compliant and has the vga for my monitor and an hdmi for my TV,would this card do the job? > http://www.amazon.co...D...0208&sr=8-2 as I said,I am not needing a flashy graphics card(the cheaper,the better),as long as it will let me hook up my monitor and TV and give decent video output with no audio issues.I was also reading some more about HDCP and found out that if a tv has HD Ready on it,it usually means it is HDCP compliant which would mean my TV is most likely HDCP compliant and I suspect that is why I had no recognition from the TV when I hooked it up to my desktop with VGA.The only thing putting me off the card you pointed me to is that it has no vga and I would therefore need some kind of adapter for my monitor.Can you also tell me if the card I am looking at is a step backwards from my integrated chip or about the same?PS.I also came across a card at £55 which is HDCP compliant and is a PCI-e card,it is called Radeon HD 4670,(it has vga and hdmi connectors)would this be any better?

Edited by mrpooh3, 17 January 2010 - 03:31 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I was looking at a cheaper card on Amazon which is HDCP compliant and has the vga for my monitor and an hdmi for my TV,would this card do the job?

maybe...don't go to cheap...that card has no fan...not a good sign..

The only thing putting me off the card you pointed me to is that it has no vga and I would therefore need some kind of adapter for my monitor

this here has all three connectors you need...as does this here...

if you go with a different card that doesn't have a D-SUB (VGA)... a DVI to VGA Adapter only costs about 5 bucks

Edited by happyrock, 17 January 2010 - 07:43 AM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi Happyrock, I am considering going for that one,I seen it on ebay for £100 but I seen another earlier card the 4670,would this be ok ?> edit

Edited by mrpooh3, 17 January 2010 - 08:02 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I really don't have the time to go research every card you find...
good luck

Advertisements

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
No problem,I appreciate you taking the time to recommend a couple of cards to me ,thanks.I will probably go for the one I am looking at.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
Hi,I received my fans and graphics card this morning and am about to change my case.I have installed all the fans and PSU into the new case and now I just need to swap everything over.I have an anti-static wristband(no mat though)...What precautions should I take to avoid frying my MOBO?

Edited by mrpooh3, 19 January 2010 - 07:48 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
make sure the mobo standoffs are in the correct locations...
after opening the antistatic bag...touch bare metal in the case before touching the mobo or any of the other components...
take your time...
take pictures of all the different connections for the various components to make sure you connect everything correctly...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
double post

Edited by happyrock, 19 January 2010 - 08:28 AM.