Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

worm.win32.netsky - unable to start

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My understanding is that you cannot operate your computer in any mode. Am I right?

Run Avira now because according to your description the problem is malware related. We want to reach a point at which the computer can be run, and then let you post in the malware forum.

Advertisements

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
"The downloaded file contain a CD burnibg tool. Use it to burn and create a bootable CD."

I downloaded and created the .exe file on a regular CD. I put this CD on the infected laptop. When the laptop was restarted with this CD, it still wants to start from where it left, and asks for Windows XP Home Edition CD. It looks like I have to create a bootable CD, using the downloaded software.

Can I run the downloaded .exe file on another laptop that runs Windows XP Professional? Will this execution cause any harm to the second laptop that I am using to send this messages? I need to be very careful as this laptop does not belong to me.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you start to burn the CD you are given 2 options: 1) burn with the built in program. 2) extract the ISO file and burn it with another program. If you downloaded the file and burnt it with the built-in program then you created a bootable CD.

Is your computer set in the BIOS to run the CD drive as the first priority boot device? Please check and set, if necessary.

You can try Avira on the second computer. No damage will be done as long as the computer is clean of malware. If it is not, then, like with every other antimalware program, there is a some chance that things will get more complicated when malware is removed. This is one of the reasons you try to void malware in the first place, and this is why I asked you to set Avira not to delete infected files but to try and repair or rename them.

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I created the boot disk and started the laptop. Boot Antivirus Rescue System Default) option was used. Try to Repair infected File > Rename Files, if they can not be removed? option was selected. It renamed several files and completed.

Earlier, I was using Windows reinstall using Windows Home Edition CD. It stopped with 'Set up will complete in approx. 34 minutes' message and never completed. After the clean-up with Avira software, when I rebooted the laptop, it starts with 'Set up is being restarted' and stops with the same 'Set up will complete in approx. 34 minutes' message.

Is there an alternate way to reboot the laptop?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See here: http://support.micro...kb/828267/en-us

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please follow the link given by Broni. The 34 minutes is usually related to some hardware problem but often it is not. If you cannot find the cause of problem in the hardware then I suggest that you download and install linux Ubuntu. This will take you away from windows environment and will help you decide if the origin of the problem is in the hardware or software.

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I checked the log files and found this error - Set up encountered an error while trying to set systems security. An extended error has occured.

The error is in 'Symantec Network Security Miniport'.

Is there any way I can skip this step and proceed before I try Ubuntu?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disconnecting the ethernet cable and then try reinstalling windows ...
nojoy...
look in the bios and disable your network adapter and then try reinstalling windows

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I disabled all the interfaces and still I get the same error. Is there any way I can switch to full install, from re-install?

Raja G

Raja G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ubuntu was installed successfully and I am able to retrieve the data files successfully from Windows partition. Thanks for all your help and support.

Advertisements