Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End of keyboard cable doesn't match slot

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I am borrowing someone's computer to get spyware off of it. However, they dropped it off with only the power supply and tower, so I'm forced to use my own keyboards and mice. None of cables for my keyboards will fit the back (or front) of the tower.

This person's computer uses USB cables it looks like, for both their keyboard and mouse, while all my keyboards have an end which is somewhat hollow, but circular, with 7 or 8 pins on the inside.

How do I get a keyboard hooked up to this person's PC? Do I really have to make a special trip and bother her for her own keyboard? I thought these things would be interchangeable by now. Or I have to go to Radio Shack to buy a special adapter?

Please advise. Thanks a lot.

Jefff

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They were interchangable many years ago, with all due respect. Sounds like you have PS/2 keyboards and mice. Most recent PCs only have USBs and no legacy support for PS/2. You can get adaptors but you can also get USB keyboards and mice for slightly more.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
OK, thanks. I think I'll just wait and get her keyboard from her. She didn't seem to need the PC back in a hurry and it's no good for me to spend $$$ on an entirely new keyboard/mouse for something I'm just doing as a favor. Thanks again.

Hanspuppa

Hanspuppa

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello JeffM, I understand your delima. I used to get these kinds of issues at one time, and I started to ask everyone that brought me a system to work on, to bring everything but the monitor.

I have several monitors that I use for repair/testing systems.

If they have an LCD monitor, I always ask for that as well, since I would always get a call when they got home, that new hardware was found. That would be their monitor.

I had to try and explain all this, so I just started to ask for the entire system.

This has worked well for me since then.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Good advice. Thanks.