Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background problems after malware [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

Hingsen

Hingsen

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hope someone can help here - I have been infected by the tojan.spy-smitfraud and tried to remove it by reading other posts in this forum. It seems now as if most of the rubbish is removed, but I am not sure due to the lack of knowledge on my part in this kind of matter.

When infected, my desktop background was changed into a "flickering" white and grey instead of the XP theme I had before. And this is a problem I have not been able to figure out how to solve. The background keeps flickering, and I cannot change the wallpaper. To me this signals that I have not been able to completely remove all the badguys - getting a bit desperate, and I really hope that there is help for me out there! Thank you in advance for any help!

Here is my Hijack log - I hope someone can make something out of it:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:44:43, on 2005-05-17
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kalle Bergman\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Blockera alla bilder från samma sida - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lägg till i AD Svartlistan - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Markera - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Sök - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Öppna alla länkar på sidan... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://home.sve.chello.se/ssi/welcome/welcome.php?url=home
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36112BF-2FA3-4694-8603-3B510EA3B465} (Lycos File Upload Component) - http://f008.mail.spr...ileUploader.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi Hingsen. Welcome to GTG. Sorry you were missed on the first go-round, but we'll get it done this time. ;)

Since it's been so long, could you please run another log and post the contents in this thread? Thanks. :tazz:

Hingsen

Hingsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I need you to disable Microsoft AntiSpyware and TeaTimer for now. They will interfere with the fixes.

Don't run it yet.

Run Hijack This and put check marks next to these:

O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {0139CC1A-81CF-4B3F-A208-7C564E989381} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {0139CC1A-81CF-4B3F-A208-7C564E989381} - (no file) (HKCU)

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...ip/RdxIE601.cab

If your desktop tabs are missing, do this:

[QUOTE]Please download: http://www.kellys-ko.../desktoptab.reg[/QUOTE]
Doubleclick the kelly's Korner download and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.[/QUOTE]

Tell me how it's running. :tazz: And post another log.

Hingsen

Hingsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi again,

I followed your list, but there is still an "extra background" on my desktop. It flickers in grey and white and is apparently placed OVER the real desktop background. When I look at the properties of this flickering background, it says it is an HTML file located in file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html

However, I am not able to find it there...

This is the latest scan!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:19:30, on 2005-05-25
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Kalle Bergman\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\System32\keyhook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Blockera alla bilder från samma sida - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lägg till i AD Svartlistan - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Markera - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Sök - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Öppna alla länkar på sidan... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://home.sve.chello.se/ssi/welcome/welcome.php?url=home
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} -
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36112BF-2FA3-4694-8603-3B510EA3B465} (Lycos File Upload Component) - http://f008.mail.spr...ileUploader.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Go to the control panel and select Display.
Select Desktop.
Click on the Customise Desktop box at bottom left.
Click on the Web tab
Take a note of all the entries listed and let me know what they are.

Hingsen

Hingsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello again,

The two items are:

- file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kalle%20Bergman/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Wallpaper1.bmp

- Security

Thanks!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Try this:

1. Right-click on the Desktop
2. Go to "Properties"
3. Select "Desktop" tab
4. Click on the "Customize Desktop" button
5. Select "Web" tab
6. Uncheck or delete whatever seems to be suspicious in the WEBPAGE box
7. You should now be able to set your desktop to desired background.

Hingsen

Hingsen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Wonderful - did what you said, and it went away! Thank god for geekstogo.com!

Tipping my hat to you!

/Hingsen

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Glad it worked out. ;)

Congratulations! Your system is CLEAN :tazz:

How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

It's okay to delete the Hijack This folder if everything is working okay.

After doing all these, your system will be thoroughly protected from future threats. ;)