Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thanks and more answering time please

• Please log in to reply

Penny Elliott

Penny Elliott

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello, and thank you very much especially to Essexboy for loads of help with cleaning the computer of horrible Trojan and Winhuer viruses amongst others. Also for good simple and helpful advice. Unfortunately the topic closed before I had the chance to reply. This was because I couldn't answer before the 4 day dedline. sometimes here in Tanzania and other places too, it's not easy to get access to the internet so quickly. there are different reasons such as:-
a) use of internet cafes that charge by the hour rather than number of bytes. (eg if downloading a particular antivirus, spyware or just updating can take far more than an hour.)
a2) some internet cafes are not careful about cleaning their computers so if you use your laptop you pick up more. (a bit like going into hospital for one treatment and coming out with something else you caught on the ward!)
a3) getting to the place after a rain storm which makes everywhere muddy, slippery, and sometimes dangerous.
the transport on these occasions is not so easy and takes ages to get places.(sometimes because they take short cuts!)
b) Electricity supply - unpredictable and sometimes weak. this affects the servers and so we don't always get internet access or it takes up to 30 mins to get through.
b2)If you work at home with a laptop your computer battery can run out and if for the above reason it takes ages to get through and the signal is weak, it's discourageing to keep going.
c) Other events that happen.
d) work and availability of a computer to use and time to use it.
e) travelling. If you use the local transport it takes time to get places. Esp in Dar Es Salaam.
Some people have broadband and generators in their premises. Not most of us.
So it's not always easy to reach a deadline of 4 days. Could it be possible to make an exception for those who live with such circumstances?
thanks for reading this.
Penny

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Penny - sorry about that I forgot you had some access problems :)

But if this should happen and I forget (I am old now :) ) Then just PM me and I will re-open in a trice :)

Do you wish the topic re-opened ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow that's just amazing. I sit here and take my ADSL2+ at work for granted, then I get to go home and I have ADSL there as well.

Penny Elliott

Penny Elliott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oh thanks a lot Essexboy i hope you didn't feel like you were being told off. Not at all. what happened was that I had used all the cleaning steps you gave me, including cleaning out OTs, only to find that when I used a flash disc of someone elses even though it had been scanned, I got more viruses back in the folders already gotten rid of by the first clean up eg in System 32. I Hope I did the right thing and went through all the first lot of steps. it's now clean and I have the updated Java and Spyware thing too.
Why, if files like those are cleaned away is it so easy for them to return?
Also I tried to get a firewall programe like you said but trouble is they want to put in another antivirus programme too. I'm ok with AVG so don't really wan to change it. Is there any firewall I can use that doesnt'require me to down load a whole lot of antivirus programe too?
sorry this is not a very good Christmas present for you and not even new year yet. However I hope you do have a good new year.
Thanks once again.
Penny

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Penny - I have re-opened the topic so we can discuss it there. I will post a programme to protect you from any flash driven malware and also another one for a quick look to be sure it is all gone :) I will remember about the delay this time 'onest :)

Penny Elliott

Penny Elliott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Asante sana!(thank you very much).

Penny Elliott

Penny Elliott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Dear Essexboy, I think I've made a mestake. I'm still waiting for the programme to sort out viruses from flashdiscs, but I'm not sure if you took my thanks as a no thanks i'm fine or that you have had other work to do so wasn't sure what to do.
Mean while, I just had another virus scan today and Win32/Heur and Trojan horse Adload_r.KN was found.
This time in 09_225411/C_WINDOWS/System32/B8EF57/HtmlView.fne (for the Win32/Heur) and ....B8EF57/Spec.fne (Trojan horse Adload_r.KN) It also said it was from OTS moved files.
Sorry to pester you yet again just as new year is beginning.
Hope you are not too snowed under.
Penny