CPU: Intel i5-750 Quad Core 2.66 GHz 95 Watts = $150
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 (LGA 1156, 4x240pin memory slots, DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 16GB Maximum, one PCI Express 2.0 x16 , one PCI Express x16 1, PCI Express x16 slot, two PCI Slots, Micro ATX) = $105
PSU: Thermaltake W0366RU 700 W (3 x 6-Pin, 2 x 8-Pin, > 75% efficiency, 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.3", Over Current, Over Voltage and short circuit protection) = $115 - $15 MIR = $100
CASE: Thermaltake Element T (comes with 1x120 and 1x200mm fan with 3 upgrade fan slots, three 5.25" slots, six 3.5", seven Expansion slots, 15 lbs, Micro and Standard ATX) = $75 - $25 MIR = $50
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) (240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Dual Channeled, Unbuffered, 1.6V) = $95
(Newegg Combo deal on Mobo, PSU, CASE, and RAM = -$51)
VIDEO: HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 (700 MHz core clock, 1150 MHz memory clock, 1 GB, 128 bit, DirectX 11, 6 pin PCI Express connection, Max Resolution: 2560 x 1600) = $145 - $10 code = $135
CPU COOLER: ??? (Need some suggestions here, want something quiet. Obviously needs to be compatible with cpu and everything else)
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Intel Core i5 = $28
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm = $35
- ZEROtherm CORE92 Socket 1156/1366 HDT Cooler = $30
Extra Case Fans: 3x COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan (70 CFM, 19-23 dbA, 2000 RPM, 3 to 4 pin adapter, 120 x 120 x 25 mm) = 3 x $10 = $30
OS: Student Upgrade version of Windows 7 Pro : $30
Shipping = $20
HARDDRIVES: Will use my 2 HD's from old computer. 1 TB, Wester Digital, currently in RAID 1 but I want to take it out of that. XP installed, will upgrade to Windows 7.
SOUNDCARD: Unused Creativelabs SoundBlaster Audigy SE that I already have
DVD Burner/2 MONITORs/KEYBOARD/MOUSE/Floppy Drive: Resuse from old comp
Grand Total = ~$690
I'm not a hard core gamer, play from time to time in phases. Would like to play GTA 4 though. Do a lot of multitasking and occaisonaly MATLAB use. I would like to allow myself room for expansion/growth in the future, I plan on keeping this setup indefinitely and upgrading piecewise as needed.
1) Will I need a network card?
2) I have an unused Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4 video card lying around....not really good enough for what I want but is there any way i can salvage some value out of it? Either sell it or install it as a second video card?
3) Are all the fans/heat sinks/video cards/etc compatible with the power supply connections?
4) Right now my 2 hard drives are in a RAID 1 setup sitting inside of a dead computer, with XP installed on them, and my files backed up externally. How can I upgrade to Win 7, and remove the RAID 1, while ideally not deleting files or reformatting the drives(accessing the backup files will be a bit of a pain).
5) Any suggestions on CPU Fan and Case Fans? Obviously I want what everyone wants....a cheap fan that is quiet and moves a lot of air, but I'm just not sure how to trade those 3 dimensions properly. I think the case fans have to be 120 mm to fit.
6) According to http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us my recommended power supply should be 600 W. I would like to go bigger than the 700 W that I have listed, but it looks to be a pretty good deal from the combo package.
7) Any other comments/suggestions?
Thanks a ton!