Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

kmsn

kmsn

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ive been doing some research for a few days and I'm looking at the following build:

CPU: Intel i5-750 Quad Core 2.66 GHz 95 Watts = $150

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 (LGA 1156, 4x240pin memory slots, DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 16GB Maximum, one PCI Express 2.0 x16 , one PCI Express x16 1, PCI Express x16 slot, two PCI Slots, Micro ATX) = $105

PSU: Thermaltake W0366RU 700 W (3 x 6-Pin, 2 x 8-Pin, > 75% efficiency, 5.5" x 5.9" x 3.3", Over Current, Over Voltage and short circuit protection) = $115 - $15 MIR = $100

CASE: Thermaltake Element T (comes with 1x120 and 1x200mm fan with 3 upgrade fan slots, three 5.25" slots, six 3.5", seven Expansion slots, 15 lbs, Micro and Standard ATX) = $75 - $25 MIR = $50

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) (240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Dual Channeled, Unbuffered, 1.6V) = $95

(Newegg Combo deal on Mobo, PSU, CASE, and RAM = -$51)

VIDEO: HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 (700 MHz core clock, 1150 MHz memory clock, 1 GB, 128 bit, DirectX 11, 6 pin PCI Express connection, Max Resolution: 2560 x 1600) = $145 - $10 code = $135

CPU COOLER: ??? (Need some suggestions here, want something quiet. Obviously needs to be compatible with cpu and everything else)
- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Intel Core i5 = $28
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm = $35
- ZEROtherm CORE92 Socket 1156/1366 HDT Cooler = $30

Extra Case Fans: 3x COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan (70 CFM, 19-23 dbA, 2000 RPM, 3 to 4 pin adapter, 120 x 120 x 25 mm) = 3 x $10 = $30

Shipping = $20

HARDDRIVES: Will use my 2 HD's from old computer. 1 TB, Wester Digital, currently in RAID 1 but I want to take it out of that. XP installed, will upgrade to Windows 7.

SOUNDCARD: Unused Creativelabs SoundBlaster Audigy SE that I already have

DVD Burner/2 MONITORs/KEYBOARD/MOUSE/Floppy Drive: Resuse from old comp

Grand Total = ~$690

I'm not a hard core gamer, play from time to time in phases. Would like to play GTA 4 though. Do a lot of multitasking and occaisonaly MATLAB use. I would like to allow myself room for expansion/growth in the future, I plan on keeping this setup indefinitely and upgrading piecewise as needed.

Questions:
1) Will I need a network card?
2) I have an unused Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4 video card lying around....not really good enough for what I want but is there any way i can salvage some value out of it? Either sell it or install it as a second video card?
3) Are all the fans/heat sinks/video cards/etc compatible with the power supply connections?
4) Right now my 2 hard drives are in a RAID 1 setup sitting inside of a dead computer, with XP installed on them, and my files backed up externally. How can I upgrade to Win 7, and remove the RAID 1, while ideally not deleting files or reformatting the drives(accessing the backup files will be a bit of a pain).
5) Any suggestions on CPU Fan and Case Fans? Obviously I want what everyone wants....a cheap fan that is quiet and moves a lot of air, but I'm just not sure how to trade those 3 dimensions properly. I think the case fans have to be 120 mm to fit.
6) According to http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us my recommended power supply should be 600 W. I would like to go bigger than the 700 W that I have listed, but it looks to be a pretty good deal from the combo package.
7) Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Alright, looks good. The i5 comes with a cooler so unless you want major overclocking you are set there.

1) Will I need a network card?

No, this comes with the motherboard. It doesn't have wireless support though so as long as you don't need that you are fine.

2) I have an unused Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4 video card lying around....not really good enough for what I want but is there any way i can salvage some value out of it? Either sell it or install it as a second video card?

Not that I know of.

3) Are all the fans/heat sinks/video cards/etc compatible with the power supply connections?

It should be fine.

4) Right now my 2 hard drives are in a RAID 1 setup sitting inside of a dead computer, with XP installed on them, and my files backed up externally. How can I upgrade to Win 7, and remove the RAID 1, while ideally not deleting files or reformatting the drives(accessing the backup files will be a bit of a pain).

You are going to have to do a clean install of Windows 7 because you cannot upgrade from XP.

Other than that I think it looks fine.