Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having problem with sound

• Please log in to reply

cookie36

cookie36

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
the other day my sound on the computer was working normally and just the other day i noticed it wasnt working at all so i went under the add hardware to see if it was working properly and next to media it has a yellow exclamation mark next to it so i click on that to see if i could fix it and it says i can have the wizard install the drivers automatically for me so i do that then it tells me it could not find the nescessary hardware.i dont understand how my drivers arent installed when just the other day it was working fine.i never mess with that stuff cause im not very good with computers someone told me it is the sound,video,and game controller driver but i cant find it anywhere and i dont even know if thats what it is,so please someone help!!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello cookie36.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I DID WHAT U ASKED AND THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I WENT UNDER THE ACCESSORIES AND LOOKED FOR PAINT BUT I DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT THE ONLY THING I FOUND WAS WORDPAD SO I DID EVERYTHING U TOLD ME TO DO ON THAT AND IT WORKED BUT WHEN I GOT BACK ON HERE TO UPLOAD I WENT TO BROWSE AND FOUND IT THEN I UPLOADED IT AND IT KEEPS SAYING I DIDNT SELECT A FILE TO UPLOAD EVEN THOUGH I DID.I GUESS IM DOING SOMETHING WRONG,I HOPE U CAN STILL HELP.IM GETTING READY TO GET OFF HERE FOR THE NIGHT BUT I WILL LOOK FOR UR MESSAGE TOMORROW THANK YOU!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can just tell me if there are any yellow exclamation marks or red X's and what they are showing on.

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yes there is a yellow exclamation point but it has it against unknown device its between standard game port and video codecs, if u need anymore information let me know thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your sound onboard or i it a add on card?
Is this a desktop or laptop?
What is the make and model of the system?

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
no it doesnt have a sound card and its a desktop and the computer is a microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 3, intel® celeron® cpu 1.70 ghz,1.70ghz, 224 mb of ram

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It must be built onboard sound. It has to have a sound card connection because that is where the speakers plug into the back of the system.
Is this a name brand system and if so what make and model?
If not do you knwo what the motherboard make and model is?

Try the following.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
[attachment=37168:Report.txt] i dont know if i did this right hopefully i did

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE click the agree to terms box and then below that you will see the download link for the Sis 7012 Sound Driver

Advertisements

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i did what u said and went to that website and i agreed to the terms and i went to get that driver and a box came up asking me to open or save so i opened it and it was downloaded to my computer so i went to install it and the wizard came up saying it detected new hardware and it says it can automatically install it for me so i do that then it said that it couldnt install it cause it couldnt find the necessary hardware even though i downloaded it.and now under media it has sm bus contrler with a yellow exclamation point next to that as so does media still.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sm bus controller is the motherboard chipset driver.
Do you have the drivers disk for the motherboard?

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
no i dont i guess thats not a good thing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem yet. The Everest report doesn't give me the motherboard model number so we need a different log to try and get it.

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on one at a time of the following and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the PCI directory and then on the rightcopy and paste the line that says Audio Device

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

cookie36

cookie36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i may sound really stupid im sorry but i dont get how to copy and paste it,i clicked the motherboard part on the left but on the right side it doesnt say anything about drivers and i right click to copy it and the only options i have is print and export