Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have the recovery CD or just an installation CD?

• Please log in to reply

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I've been reading through this thread: http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html as I have a Dell computer and this is exactly what has happened to me.

Of the CDs I received with my laptop, I have one which is labelled 'Operating System... Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2'. It also says 'The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer.'

Is this the CD I need to repair my OS as described in the above post? If not, how do I get hold of a recovery CD?

Many thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You didn't mention the Dell model number, but look through your Programs for any Dell folders. They should have the necessary instructions on how to make your own Recovery Discs.

If you have ever looked through the Computer's directory structure and noted the drives, you might have noticed one that may be called "factory_image". The instructions for your computer should tell you how to initiate the burning of the discs which will get all required info from this drive.

I own a Dell and do not understand why you did not get the discs labeled Diagnostics, Recovery and a few others. Guess Dell has stopped issuing them and just sending the Windows OS one. If your Dell is under warranty, contact them online and request those discs. I had to do that and they were sent right away.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
These days the Dell diagnostics are normally pre-installed on the Dell partition. When you boot the computer and see the Dell splash screen, press the F12 key. That will take you to the boot menu where you can select "Diagnostics" from the menu. Also, for some stupid reason, if it's a laptop, it has to be removed from it's dock and connected directly to a power outlet.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 22 December 2009 - 07:28 AM.

Social Nutter

Social Nutter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Perfect!

Thanks guys, I think I've got it sorted :-)