Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first Computer

• Please log in to reply

Preppy85

Preppy85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so i'm setting out to build my first computer which will mainly be used for games such as WoW/Diablo3. I won't be playing any real highend games on it such as CoD Modern Warfare 2. Trying to keep this system under $400 as best as possible.

Specs

OS - Windows XP with latest SP or Vista with latest SP

MotherBoard - Asus M4A785-M - This one appeared to have good reviews, supported the CPU I'm getting, as well as plenty of room for upgrade on the processor and memory. Only draw back was no sli/crossfire support. However, I don't think I need those yet and I don't really wanna spend $200 for an Asus board that has dual PCI-e both running at x16.

CPU - AMD athlon 2 x2 245 Only think I really see lacking is the L3 Cache but I think it will be enough and if/when I upgrade to a quadcore I will get L3 Cache.

Memory - Patriot Extreme Performance Considering going to 4gigs if I run vista but i'm leaning much more towards XP. Will I notice a difference between PC2 6400 and pc2 8500?

Power Supply - Apevia 650W Figured this would be more then I needed. Plenty of power as well as 4 12v connections for when/if I go to SLI/Crossfire. Figured 4 Sata connectors would be good as I don't plan on using more then 2 CD/DVD drives and 2 HardDrives.

Harddrive - 500g Western Digital This will be my Drive for files such as games/movies/music and the like. I'll also probably run the same type of drive but only 20-30gigs for my OS for ez of upgrades/reformats.

Case - Rosewill Windknight Plenty of fans and fits with everything else.

CD/DVD drives - Not much difference in these that I know of so i'll just pick up 2 that run at the max current speed for around $30 each.

VideoCard I havn't settled on one yet but looking for something along these lines HIS H385F512NP Radeon HD 3850

Does this sound like it'll do what I want or is there anything I should change to get a better bang for my buck?

Edited by Preppy85, 21 December 2009 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
First of all it all looks fine.

ATI makes good graphics cards so that is a good choice.

pc2 8500 is faster RAM. You may not notice a difference and if you are trying to cut costs the PC2 6400 is a good choice.

Why would you go for XP or Vista when 7 is a much newer better choice?

Also remember that you will need a monitor, mouse and keyboard and speakers if you use those things. :)