Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk won't run

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
The idea is to continue to run chkdsk till it finds no errors.
Unfortunately if there is something else creating the errors, we do not know how many times to have you run the chkdsk.
Usually it is only a few times. If memory serves me, you have done it 2 to 3 times.
I would say try a few more and then we may have to try something different like a hard drive test.

123runner

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here...
if chkdsk keeps finding and fixing errors the drive is probably on its last legs so you should backup any data you can't live without

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok,here is the winlogon log for today.Hope this is what you wanted,thanks again.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 12/25/2009
Time: 12:45:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILYROOM
Description:
Checking file system on \DosDevices\C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 15 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 15 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 15 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

113314477 KB total disk space.
24180888 KB in 84386 files.
30844 KB in 8739 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
174177 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
88928568 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
28328619 total allocation units on disk.
22232142 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
f0 8c 01 00 ce 6b 01 00 90 03 02 00 00 00 00 00 .....k..........
2f 16 00 00 02 00 00 00 a0 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 /...............
8a 03 b4 04 00 00 00 00 44 80 db 50 00 00 00 00 ........D..P....
74 95 06 0e 00 00 00 00 00 99 82 1d 03 00 00 00 t...............
0a 04 c1 2b 05 00 00 00 f2 80 08 ae 08 00 00 00 ...+............
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a2 49 01 00 00 00 00 00 ..6......I......
00 60 e2 c3 05 00 00 00 23 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 .`......#"......

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...
click Start...Run... Type in msconfig...press enter...
click on Boot.ini tab...get a screenshot for us..
then click on Check All Boot Paths button ...
A dialog box will open detailing the location of any invalid operating
system locations...

Check All Boot Paths - This button will check the boot paths for all
operating systems listed in the BOOT.INI to ensure they point to a valid
operating system.

are you shutting down your computer using the power button (hard shut down) or the start button...then shutdown from the menu..(soft shutdown)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock, I appreciate the help. :) :) :)

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Here's the screenshots you requested. I shut it down using the restart button,not a hard shutdown.thanks again for all your help.

boot_ini.JPG

boot_path.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I shut it down using the restart button

do you mean like in the screenshots...
also go back to the boot.ini and scroll out to the right and get another screenshot...I need to be able to read what it says thats not showing in the first screenshot...

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Yes,that's what I mean.I haven't been shutting my computer down ,I've only been doing restarts,unless I clean it.Here's the Boot.ini screenshot you asked for.I noticed the "Tune up Back up" next to the Windows XP,why does it say that.I've also noticed that when I restart,I get a screen that gives me the option to choose that,or normal start up,and that just started recently.

boot_ini_2.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
You are getting the "tune-up" option and "tune-up" showing in the boot.ini because you have tune up utilities installed.

You did not get the full boot.ini again.
Try the following.
1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply. Do not change anything.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I installed Tune up utilities months ago,and this screen I get just recently started to show up. I gave you a screenshot of all that was there.Here is the results from notepad.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=IRH6BE /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=IRH6BE-BAK

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks to me that the two Windows lines are doinked and that is what is causing the problem.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=IRH6BE /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=IRH6BE-BAK

Normal boot.ini entry
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Those are the correct (or close to it) boot.ini lines if you have Tune-up utilities installed.

I have that on 1 of my computers. I can't recall how I got the backup or how to get rid of it. It is not creating a problem for me though.

There is a difference between his and mine. I do not know if it is a problem. The red and blue shown below are switched in mine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never used this program so my knowledge of it is not going to help in this situation. I think I will have to step aside and let you and happyrock handle this for awhile. I can assist the two of you on this for now. :) :)

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So what do I need to do? Does this have anything to do with chkdsk,and the errors?

Btw,I'm still running the chkdsk thru the recovery console,with the same results each time.

Edited by Joeyp, 28 December 2009 - 02:16 PM.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Just to let you guys know,I uninstalled "Tuneup Utilities" just to see if it would make any difference,and it didn't,as a matter of fact, "tune up backup" option is still there at restart.

Edited by Joeyp, 29 December 2009 - 06:58 PM.