Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help setting up a home network

• Please log in to reply

Solo2

Solo2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I need help setting up a home network. I want to set up 5 computers and 2 printers using RJ-45 wire. No, i don't want wireless.

Three of the 5 computers are running Windows 2000. One is running Windows XP Prof and 1 Windows 95.

I have a Bellsouth DSL modem ''Stingray'' modem USB. I will like to share the Internet connection with all computers as well as the printers.

What do I need?

Thanks - John

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Well first things first. You will need to get a router. This will take the your main connections and "split" it into othe ports for other computers/printers to use. You will need a ethernet network cards in the computers. As for the printers, you can either connect them to a computer or have them on the network directly but they need to have a network adapter.

This was real quick but i hope it gets you started. Any questions please reply.

ditto