Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looooooong Boot-Up Wait Times

• Please log in to reply

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
So XP takes forever to boot up and I'm also getting these errors/warnings. Here they are, courtesy of the event manager:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event ID: 51
Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event ID: 9
Description: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10010
Description: The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7011
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the SymWSC service.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4226
Description: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7009
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the first two are big warning flags...what can you tell us about this system....looks like bad drivers for the ide controllers, which could cause this problem.

Do you have a cd-rom in the cd drive when booting?

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the quick response. No CD in the drive on boot up. I've had these errors basically since I got the system. It's only recently that I figured out what the "thud" sounds were on start-up and how to find out what the errors were. I just fixed another startup error, the mrtrate plug and play driver. System info is as follows:

Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon XP 2400
2.0 GGHz
224 MB RAM

What else can I tell you to help?

Thanks again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
model number?

and whoa...that's not a lot of memory for xp....

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
S3200NX

As far as memory, maybe that's why A) it was so cheap and B)it's one of the slowest computers I've ever worked on!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
imagine you're a size 38 waiste and your pants are size 36...you can get them on, but it takes a while longer as you push everything into a confined space.

That is what is happening with windows at start up here....you are loading windows into a pair of pants that are too small.

Your integrated videocard is taking up 32 off the top of your 256, so that leads to a long load time as everything gets shuffled about in the remaining 224mb of memory

I would definitely download the updated video drivers form here:

http://h10025.www1.h...8&dlc=en&os=228

I would also download the Retro chipset VIA 4in1 drivers from

http://www.viaarena....PageID=2&Type=1

------------------------------------------

Also, turn down the eye candy as much as possible

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES > ADVANCED tab, PERFORMANCE Settings button, and choose ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE, OK

Now, windows will look a little less pretty...so you can slowly add features back until you get a good combo

Finally, I would run a chkdsk /r

start > run
cmd
<enter>

type chkdsk /r

agree to run at next boot.

reboot.

take a walk--this qill require a lot of time

Then, run a defrag on your drive

---------------

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Wow, that did take a while. OK, got both driver updates installed. Ran the Disk Check and defragged. I'll be away from my tube until 5:00, but what's next? Thanks again --

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Anything left for me to do? It's still real slow to boot and I don't know what to do about those errors . . .