Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows upgrade gone wrong

• Please log in to reply

livewired

livewired

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Happy Merry Christmas Eve everyone!!!! Hope all is well. So I finally get the net and find my computer is completely outdated so I oh so brilliantly decide to upgrade from windows xp to windows 8. Not realizing i need extenal hard drives and what not. I went ahead with the install. I would really just like to get the computer back to the 2.0 at this point at least it worked properly then lmao!!!!!I cannot do a system restore I have removed service pack 3.1 and the windows installer that was not properly installed but my computer still not working properly. I have decided to get help before I completely destroy my computer. Oh ya I would have formatted but I have no disks at all :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi livewired and welcome to Geeks to Go.

You need to clarify first.

upgrade from windows xp to windows 8.

There is no windows 8.

to get the computer back to the 2.0

Back to 2.0 what?

cannot do a system restore I have removed service pack 3.1

Did you uninstall?

I suspect that what you are trying to tell us is that you upgraded IE (internet explorer) to version 8. And that you also took XP from service pack 2 to service pack 3.
Is this correct?
What problems are you having?
Is it slow? unresponsive? crashing? freezing? programs not working?
You have to give us a little help here.

123runner

livewired

livewired

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi livewired and welcome to Geeks to Go.

You need to clarify first.

upgrade from windows xp to windows 8.

There is no windows 8.

to get the computer back to the 2.0

Back to 2.0 what?

cannot do a system restore I have removed service pack 3.1

Did you uninstall?

I suspect that what you are trying to tell us is that you upgraded IE (internet explorer) to version 8. And that you also took XP from service pack 2 to service pack 3.
Is this correct?
What problems are you having?
Is it slow? unresponsive? crashing? freezing? programs not working?
You have to give us a little help here.

123runner

Yes lol i meant ie 8
I had windows xp home edition 2.0 on the puter and had to upgrade to min. 3.1 in order to upgrade to ie 8.
Since then when the computer starts there is two installing upgrade boxes that pop up. I went to microsoft and followed the steps to remove windows 3.1 and the new windows installer because i kept getting message that installer was not installed properly. Must reboot and ctl-alt-del in order to cancel the installs which just started again today. It had temporarily stoppped for a bit yeaserday.
In playing any games the computer will minimize the screen every 5-10 minutes. Also, only when playing games such as diner dash ect. there is a blue screen warning only sometimes. the games can be played for uptp an hour without the blue screen other games it goes to the blue screen immediatly. the computer automatically goes into chkdsk then reboots. the computer only works for short periods then freezes.

I didn't realize there was a problem with the computer until I had a security center (I don't even know what you call it!!!!) thing come up that said I had a virus and a keylogger ect. and that i must purchase this product (malware) to remove it. First i started the process then had to decline cuz of no credit card then everything when to [bleep]. that was when the computer suddenly stared crashing, and blue screening, I have manged to uninstall the update (malware) and stopped the advertisements that popped up every twenty seconds but the computer hasn't run the same since. I have someone sending me a disk for windows xp ( i have no disks at all) so for now I can't format, and i have tried multiple times to do a system restore to no avail. It will only let me choose the date i'd like to restore to but after the next screen to begin the restore point it does absolutely nothing. The only thing i can do is close it down. Thank u for all ur time and i hope i hope u have a most wonderful christmas!!! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you are getting pop ups that want you to buy a scanner, (along with other issues) That seem to be malware related, I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here