Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mic volume is incredibally quiet

• Please log in to reply

RavenAU

RavenAU

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Folks,

I received a Psyko 5.1 headset for Christmas this year. I went to Set it up today, and the sound works amazingly.
But when i got o talk on Ventrilo, MSN audio chat or CS:Source voice chat, the only time people can hear anything is if i yell into the mic. And even then its a whisper at the very most.
I have spent the last hour and a half trying to find out why it won't work. I have followed all the other advice given in same situations, like going to control panel and maxing volume there.
But nothing seems to work.

The kicker is i tried plugging in my old mic (a USB mic) and now that wont work either.

Any one have any idea's or advice?
Really hoping to get the new headset to work since my parents put a lot of time and thought into getting it for me and i would hate for it to not work!

Advertisements

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
what sound card do you have?

RavenAU

RavenAU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not the most PC savvy person in the world.
but it looks like its a "Realtek High Definition Audio"

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Click On My Computer and click on Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Once in the Device Manager section, expand the link by Sound, Video & Game controllers. Here you should see the type of sound card you have installed in your machine. Copy and paste that here so I can continue to help you.

RavenAU

RavenAU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image

Is exactly what i see when following your instructions

I appreciate the help you are rendering :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go To:
Start and then to Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
If Microphone is not in the list then click on Options and then on Properties
Scroll down in the Show the following volume controls: area and make sure to put a check in the box next to Microphone and then click OK
Check and make sure the Volume is turned up and that the Mute box is not checked[/b]
Now click on the Advanced Button and in the new window click the Mic Boost box so it is checked.

Now go to:
Start and the Control Panel
Then go to Sounds And Audio Devices
Click On the Audio Tab and in the Sound Recording are make sure your Sound Card is the Default Device
If not please click on the Drop Down Menu and change it

Now click on the Voice Tab and in the Voice Recording are make sure your Sound Card is the Default Device
If it is not then then please click on the Drop Down Menu and change it.
Click on Test Hardware to make sure everything is setup correctly.