Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rePARTITION C:

• Please log in to reply

JohnB2

JohnB2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Since everything is running so well, decided to mess with computer and see what I can break .. NOT.

Dell notebook. XP Disk Management console shows:

Disk 0 Basic 55.88GB Online
Sections to the right of that:
31MB FAT healthy (Eisa Configuration)
(C:) 55.85 GB NTFS healthy (System)

Disk 1 Basic 18.62GB Online
Sections to the right of that:
47MB FAT healthy (Hibernation Partition)
HP NOTEBOOK (G:) 18.58 GB NTFS Healthy (Active)

Here is what I THINK is going on:
That first partition on Disk 0 is the Norton Ghost partition for restoring Factory condition to C: from Dell. Problem is, it is useless. When I first got the computer, you could hit a keysequence on boot up in order to restore to factory but it would not work. Called Dell and they said if it does not work, it will NEVER work and they sent me RESTORE CDs to use instead. Fair enough (I guess), but there is 31MB sitting there I would like to 'give' to C:. Don't know how to do that and would like some help, Please.

The first partition on Disk 1 is a hibernation partition because I took a SATA drive out of another parted out HP notebook, hooked it to a USB interface and am using it as a data drive for the Dell notebook. I would like to give that 47MB to G:. Would like some help with that also.

Have not 'messed' with partitions since the DOS days and basically do not know how to approach this. I have a partitioning package I downloaded from the 'Net .. for free. It is called EaseusPartitionManager.zip which I have not even unzipped.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My opinion is that what you are trying to do is far too risky compared to what you are going to gain. The added volume of disk space is insignicant. In contrast, resizing partitions can end up in disaster.

If you really want to try, download GPARTED from here and use it to resize the partitions.

JohnB2

JohnB2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Skeptic. I get your point, .. high risk, low gain. I upgraded EaseusPartitionManager to the current version and fired it up. I successfully accomplished what I wanted to do with Disk 1 .. or I think I did. That was easy .. no risk, .. the drive was empty.

Foolin with Disk 0 is a different story .. as you are aware of. I agree with you about the risk to gain ratio, .. but it just bothers me to have 31MB sitting there never used. Yep, it's silly, but I'm bored.

I'm pretty sure EPB is a competitor to GPARTED .. it offers all the same features, but I will get GPARTED and use it instead along with other opinions on proceeding. Thank you for your comments.