Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewire HD timing out

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok guys, i have a western Digital My Book Home hooked up through a fire-wire PCI card (400). I have had no problems with transferring large files/large amounts of files from the hard drive on Windows Xp and Windows Vista. I just installed Windows 7 64 bit and I am trying to move files, I have tried importing music into itunes, and I have also tried installing items from this hard drive which I have been able to do just fine before. Now that I have tried this I have had issues with the hard drive timing out or freezing up and not responding anymore. I'm wondering if this has something to do with windows 7. I also was not able to install drivers from the driver disk for my motherboard, so I went on the Asus website and downloaded and installed all the drivers for the motherboard that were available. I wasn't happy that the disk said that the exe. file was not compatible because I knwo it contains drivers that work. Windows 7 also found drivers for everything through the install and updates. I have no missing drivers visible in the hardware manager either. At first I thought it was a South Bus problem, but I haven't seen any SMBUS problems or anything like that. Everything seems to be installed. I did plug it in through USB, and started importing files into itunes, but I haven't stressed tested this method yet. I would like to use firewire though, i feel that it is faster and at times more stable when it comes to video editing ect.

Can anyone help me with solving the problem?

Advertisements