Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proper installation of a second hard disk?

• Please log in to reply

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to know if my plans or installing a new hard disk are ok.

Here's some background info of my situation:

I currently have an 80GB IDE hard disk and an IDE CD burner working. I can't have more IDE devices working since my mainboard is a P17G/1333 (which only has one IDE and the rest are SATA). So the only IDE I have is already occupied with both devices.

Here are some specifications form my board's manual:

Four Serial ATA Connectors, supporting RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5 & JBOD function
Compliant with the SATA2 with 3.0 Gb/s per direction per channel

Now I want to buy another hard disk (no less than 120 GB) because the 80 GB of my current one are already full. And I also want to buy a new CD burner. Of course, I want to keep my current hard disk and burner, besides new the ones, so the new ones will be SATA.

Soooo.......

I have a picture of how the whole thing looks and would look. (See picture)

Explanation of picture:
The black graphics are the devices as they are installed now; the blue graphics are the new devices as I would install them.

Important:
I want my new hard disk to be the master.
My supposition is that by plugging it into the SATA, it will automatically become the master while the disk in the IDE will become the slave. Am I right or do I need to jumper them?

Well, I hope to get feedback on whether my plan is ok or not.

Thanx in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• ma_MAINBOARD.jpg

Advertisements