Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED]Freezing at Desktop after installing new CPU

• Please log in to reply

Dencity

Dencity

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm sure there are plenty of threads like this, but I'm working fast just in case. Also, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I just ("Just" meaning less than an hour ago) installed a new standard (no OC yet) Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz. At the first startup I got the New CPU warning, reset and got a "CMOS checksum error bad". I finally got it to start properly, up until I get to the desktop, at which point everything just freezes. I don't think its a cooling problem as I'm posting this from the computer with Safe Mode on (but again, no searching, just in case.). I had no problems with my old Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 2.66 GHz OC'd to 2.99GHz. Can anyone help me out?

Specs:
Mobo: XFX nForce 750i SLI
Cpu:Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz retail heatsink/fan
GPU: BFG GeForce 9800 GT 1gb
Memory: 4gb Corsair XMS2
750 watt PSU

Anything else needed can be posted.

I ran a virus scan before putting the new CPU in. Clean. all startup items are running fine in safe mode.

Nevermind. The startup items worked in Safe mode for some reason, but not without it..

Edited by Dencity, 26 December 2009 - 11:06 PM.

Advertisements