Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual drives

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you are given a choice, we need to know if both of the OS will boot.

We also need you to be sure you tell us if they both boot, or only 1 boots, and which 1 it is (choice 1 or choice 2)
This is critcal so we do not remove the wrong one.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you try the other does everything appear to work and is all your data there?

tmh922

tmh922

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes both OS work, I have alway picked the second (H) when booting, when downloading anything I have saved it to H also.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the fix is simple at this point. If the second is working and you are sure it is the H then we can edit the boot.ini to get rid of the other and delete the other partition. Stretch the H partition out using Gparted or another partitioning software.
I wanted to make sure if both OS's are working correctly and that all your data is safe before we continued.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Does the H partition have ALL of your data or is it on the other drive?

I would like to see if we can keep the C letter designation. It is less confusing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue i have with that is since the C is now the second partition then getting rid of H would it still allow the C to become the main partition and be bootable?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The issue i have with that is since the C is now the second partition then getting rid of H would it still allow the C to become the main partition and be bootable?

Very good point.

Lets continue with the original thought process.
Since the Op unintentionally messed this up by a re-install, we can always do a reformat and reload if he has issues with it being H versus C.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If H has all the programs and data on it, then keeping it and getting rid of C would be ok I believe.
We may have to do some fancy changing in the boot.ini to get everything right but it is possible I think.