Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice on factors of XP clean install

• Please log in to reply

cvrband

cvrband

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
My desktop currently has only one 80G hard drive and I plan to do a clean (re)install of Windows XP to clean/speed things up. I would like to upgrade the amount of RAM and also install another hard drive to house my data files. My question is: Do I install the RAM and additional drive prior to the clean install or after? The reason I would think to do it before is because I'd like to transfer/back-up my data files on the new drive prior and then do the clean install on the original 80G drive which will also hold my program files. Being somewhat of a novice (have done clean installs of XP a couple of times), any advice on the correct process would be helpful.

Thanks, John

Edited by cvrband, 27 December 2009 - 11:34 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Then install new HD. Partition and format it. Move your Data files over. Once that is done then format and do a fresh install of XP on the original install.

cvrband

cvrband

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I stumbled upon Crucial yesterday (great site) and found the correct memory.

The sequence you described is what I was thinking about doing but just wanted verification. I appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks,
John

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and if you have any other questions please feel free to post them and we will be glad to assist you.