Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I downloaded the Puppy Linux, burned it and put it in my computer and it didn't work, I am sure I did everything right... Anything else I can try?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you burn it? With the burncdcc program or a different program?
Did you burn it as a cd image or as a data disc?
Is the bott sequence changed in the bios so that the cdrom is the first boot device?

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is possible that I did not burn it in the correct format. It was a burn program that is already installed on my friends computer. "Is the bott sequence changed in the bios so that the cdrom is the first boot device" I don't think so...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe this is the problem.
You can use a program called burncdcc to burn the image.
The bios does need to be change to make it boot correctly.

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, well I have to wait to try to try again cause I had to download puppy linux at my friends house since i run on a dial up commection, it will take too long. I read something I just want to know if this is possible for me to do... I can remove my hard drive and can externally hook the hard drive to another computer to double check the data base. But I will need an external holder... Is that something I can do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you could run diagnostics on that way but the steps change a little bit. I can instruct on how to do thatif you chose to go that way.

Melissahsmile

Melissahsmile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, well I am gonna re-do that disk next time I am at my friends house and try it that way again, if I don't succeed I will get the external holder and go that way.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do it the way i suggested. Download burncdcc
It can only see ISO files like the one you should have downloaded.
It only burns them and will burn the cd correctly. Then if it doesn't work we havbe to look at the boot sequence to make sure it is set correctly.