Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to do with extra PC hardware

• Please log in to reply

msujedi

msujedi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I built a PC in 2005, and recently performed several upgrades.

My old parts are still reasonably good, so the trash doesn't seem like a good choice. Any ideas? Here are my 'old' spare parts...

SOLTEK SL-K8TPro-939 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813180064

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Single-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103514

PQI POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model MD4412UOE
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820141164

ATI 100-714116 Radeon 9600 128MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X All-in-Wonder Video Card
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102345

I've considered building another PC for my kids (5 & 8yrs old). The extra parts: case+PSU, monitor, keyboard+mouse, HDD, optical drive would cost another $370. But they really don't need their own PC. And, it's just another machine to maintain.

Is there anything else to do with the hardware listed above?

Edited by msujedi, 29 December 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Donate it to a charity?
Sell it on eBay as a bare bones unit or individually (you'd get more overall individually but you won't get a fortune either way)?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If I understand your post above, you recently upgraded your PC to the above specs, is that right? If so, then are you saying you still only have 512Mb of RAM installed? If that is true then if you want to see dramatic improvement in over all computer performance without spending a lot of money, pull that single stick of RAM, then buy and install 2 pairs of matched sticks for 4 x 512Mb, or 2Gb. You want pairs of identical sticks to take advantage of the motherboard's dual channel memory capability. This will, by far, give you the most bang for the money.

msujedi

msujedi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Oh, no...I'm sorry. My old parts are listed above. I've upgraded to a MB with an AM3 socket, 240pin RAM connectors, PCI-E peripheral connectors. I now have a quad core processor with 2x2Gb of RAM, and a new nvidia graphics card.

I'll look at ebay to see what I might be able to get for the 'old' parts.

In the past I've donated old PCs to charity, but I'm not sure how useful the components would be alone.

Edited by msujedi, 29 December 2009 - 03:53 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you want to have some fun, finish building it off and then try and sell it and make a dollar. Obviously you'd have to try and get everything as cheap as possible, so scour second-hand sales to find the bits you want.

msujedi

msujedi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hmm, now that's an interesting idea. Do you have recommendations regarding where to find reliable 2nd hand parts? Ebay, local computer store, other online source?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here in Australia I usually just end up with leftover parts from jobs that I do with my work, or sometimes the odd garage sale/car boot sale/trading post newspaper etc... I've never used eBay to purchase computer parts yet, usually postage is the killer that makes it not worth it. Wherever you are, you'll have to find something that suits you. Look around as much as you can, you'll find all sorts of places to pick up the stuff you need. If you don't find what you would like, try a "wanted" ad in the local paper?