Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive losing Memory FAST - Unknown reason [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dog10

Dog10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am at a loss as to what to try next...please advise!
I have an older computer (Dell, Dimension 4500, approximately 6 years old) with Windows XP. I only have a 40 Gb hard drive. For the last couple months I have been losing hard drive space daily, and it seems to be disappearing even quicker now! I have uninstalled old programs, games, etc. I have McAfee Antivirus and it is automatically updated. I have Spyware guard running all the time, and I have a firewall program called Zone Alarm Pro that is consistently monitoring and protecting the computer.

In the past weeks I have done a total C-drive virus scan multiple times with no infections showing up. I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-malware software and did a complete scan, and it only found 1 file which it deleted. It reported it was not a serious problem. I downloaded and used WinUtilities to clean up my registry, get rid of unused files, and defragment my hard drive. All of these things helped free up more hard drive space, only to see it disappear again daily! Last week I was down to ZERO memory left of the hard drive. Through all these actions I freed up over 7 Gb. However, as of last night I was at 5.65 Gb and woke up this morning with only 4.72 Gb of free space. NOW, in the time it has taken me to register and complete this post, it has gone down to 4.61 Gb. Within a couple days it will be down to zero again, and I don't know of anything else to do!

Can you please suggest a solution?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please download and run Winstatdir

When the little pacmen have finished investigating the drive you will be presented with a visual image of your folders
Select the folder using the most space by clickin the little + sign alongside it
Locate the folder that is using the most space
If there is a + alongside that then click it to dig deeper
Highlight the offending folder and press Ctrl + C this will copy the path to your clipboard
Then right click the folder and select open
This will then open explorer to that folder.. Do you recognise it ?

Then open note pad and select paste... Post the file path in your next reply plus the size, also if possible a screen shot of the Windirstat window showing your drive

THEN

Download OTS to your Desktop
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • File - Lop Check
    • File - Purity Scan
    • Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)
  • Under custom scans copy and paste the following
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options /s
%systemroot%\*. /s /r

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.