Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can XP be installed over ME?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
A friend has a computer that was given to him and it has Win ME on it. He cannot get it to fully boot and he has no discs available for ME to reinstall, boot or whatever. What is the best way to approach this? Would installing a new OS be better and if so, how does one proceed? We do have XP discs. It is an older computer and he wants to use it primarily for his wife to be able to load it with games and maybe connect to the Internet down the road. My buddy says that when he boots it up, he get a few windows saying their is a problem with .dll's and kernels or something like that. He also has no mouse functions. When he boots in safe mode, the mouse works, he can go into System Restore and yet any date he clicks on will not work as it just sits and does nothing. All help is appreciated and thanks for it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have XP Upgrade you can do it, though upgrades tend to take over any issues from WinME into XP so I would say you'd be better off just wiping it.
Bear in mind however XP is heavier on machines than ME was so you may find it'll struggle to do very much if it's not a very fast machine. It's age would probably dictate that upgrading said machine is pointless.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Thanks for your response. Can you tell me the best way to wipe out the OS considering that my buddy really cannot get anything to work so it would probably have to be done in safe mode unless you have a suggestion that would be better. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you own a full version of XP with a reg key?

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I think what I have is a full version with Key. If so, how do I proceed? If it is just an update, what do I do then? Thanks!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
To start with, make sure, the computer has specs good enough for XP. Since it came with ME, it must be pretty old computer.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
And if it can handle XP, how do I go about erasing ME and installing XP? Thanks.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
You follow this guide: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Thank you so much!