Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way to clean unnecessary info from PC?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun defrag and take a screenshot of the window when it is done. Attach it to your next reply. This will help us see what you are seeing on the detail page.

Advertisements

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ran Revo...tried to attach the exported .html file and it told me I wasn't allowed to export that type of file...exported data to Excel and it told me the same thing...the exported .txt file seemed worthless, so I took some screenshots and attached them. I'll have to add the rest of them in another post, because they exceed the total attachment size allowed.

I'm still curious about the free space discrepancy I listed in the last post, though.

Attached Thumbnails

• Revo1.jpg
  • Revo2.jpg

Attached Files

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Here are the other two screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails

• Revo3.jpg
  • Revo4.jpg

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Here are two screenshots from Defrag...the first is the actual result of a defrag I did a minute ago...they blue squares are supposedly those that it defragmented when it ran. The second is an analysis of the disk after the defrag, which just shows unfragmented as green and fragmented as red. Note the two grey squares at the lower right in both shots...those are (apparently) the only free space on the disk...it just doesn't make sense.

Attached Thumbnails

• Defrag1.png
  • Defrag2.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks to be bloatware but without going through malware there is no way to know for sure. 123Runner i don't know what else to do but see if there is a active infection hiding somewhere.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
jdohr and Rshaffer61...

Working on a possible idea to get more room.
Yes, I agree bloatware and possible malware creating havoc.
I added up the "size" on all the programs and it only amounts to about 3.1gb. That does not include the windows updates.

Lets clear all but the last restore point. Then lets minimize the amount used for the restore and see if it gives us room to run defrag again.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in sysdm.cpl and click on ok.
On the general tab....click on disk cleanup.
At the bottom under system restore... click on cleanup.
Another window will appear. Click on yes to clean all but the last restore points.

Try another defrag.
I am taking another look at the programs, but I do not think that is the entire issue.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is not much to remove that I recognize.

You can remove adobe reader 9.2 and install Foxit Reader instead. It works the same and is not bloated.
Uninstall Cleanup. You have ATF which is much better. ATF is not a installed program.

You show Mozilla Fire Fox version 1.07. Are you using Mozilla Firefox? The latest is 3.5.6.
I would update it to the latest and use that browser instead of IE (Internet Explorer). It is more secure.
If you do not want to use it, then uninstall it.

Uninstall PC Doctor for Windows. It is one of those programs that is a "1 cure fixes all" program. It will generally do no good and create more harm.
The Uniblue driver scanner can be uninstalled also. We generally do not update drivers on a regular basis. Only if there seems to be an issue.

Also please take a real good look at the drive for any data, music, pictures, etc. I know you stated you only store your stuff on the other drive, but something is going on that is making it difficult to put our finger on.

123runner

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

A 60gb drive should be more than enough room.
Either the op has a lot of data he is not aware of, or a serious boat load of programs.

Lets see what we get from the Revo list.

123runner

I agree with 123runner. The OP should double check the content of his 60 gigabyte disk. With most programs the installation and the data that goes with it are stored in C drive by default, and the the unaware user find his hard disk full without even noticing it.

Just to add: there are files that cannot be defragmented, video files among them.

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I tried to run sysdm.cpl as 123runner asked, but when I click on the General tab, I don't get a Disk Cleanup choice...in fact, I get no choices other than "Support Information". There is a tab called System Restore, but it only allows me to choose how much space is allocated to system restore points.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

http://www.microsoft...ps/mcgill1.mspx

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Boy it's been a long day.
Sorry about that. Wrong instructions, but since you are there, how much space is allocated to the drive for restore?
Usually it is 12% by default.
Bring it back to say 8%.

Now the proper instructions.
Go to My computer and right click on properties.
On the general tab....click on disk cleanup.
At the bottom under system restore... click on cleanup.
Another window will appear. Click on yes to clean all but the last restore points.

123 runner

FYI: I still have at least 1 more trick up my sleeve to see whats going on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Try this:

http://www.microsoft...ps/mcgill1.mspx

I was hoping to not lose all the restore points, but they are probably all bad anyways.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Lets clear all but the last restore point. Then lets minimize the amount used for the restore and see if it gives us room to run defrag again.

:) :) :)
Age showing there now?

jdohr

jdohr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
PC Doctors is being stubborn...it says it cannot find a certain file in order to uninstall it. Should I use Revo and do a forced uninstall or use Revo and let it search for related files and then have it delete them? I will also go through the hard drive and look for more data files. One other question -- I originally had Office Pro 97 installed, and then later did an upgrade to Office 2003... Add/Delete Programs shows both...can I uninstall the Office 97 package or will that mess up the Office 2003 version?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Use Revo to uninstall PCDoctors.
I honestly can not say on office. I would not touch it yet.

Now for my other idea.

Get Tree Size
Run it and you will see where all the folders and files are.
Get a screen shot and attach it to your reply.

123runner

:) :) :)
Age showing there now?

You can't understand that? I knew what I was saying. And yes showing age. Grayer every day due to my daughter.