Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scheduler error at startup

• Please log in to reply

megan2010

megan2010

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time my system starts I get a "Scheduler has encountered a problem and needs to close..." error. I have no idea what this file does, I have googled endlessly trying to figure it out. It is in the c:\windows\sminst directory. I also can't figure out what the sminst directory is (despite googling). Seems like it has a lot of random stuff in it.

I have an HP 8510p laptop. I can give more info if you'd like.

Does anyone know what this file is and what application it is associated with? Is it a windows file? How can I make this error stop! Its been happening for months and I just can't figure out what is going on. I have run spybot, tried updating all my hp software (this laptop has a lot of it, not sure why), did all my windows updates, updated drivers, cleaned up my disk, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB..uncheck anything that has SMINST or Launcher in it..then reboot