Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

tisoy505

tisoy505

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, First thanks for the help.

My issue is I recently decided to drop the log on screen for my computer. So I did a search and used the control userpassword2 shortcut. Problem is when I would reboot it wouldn't let me log in, it said there was an error and account restriction. After a few hours of trouble shooting I just decided to reinstall the OS, something I had planned on doing in the next few months anyway.

So I went through the process of reinstalling. The problem now is that it asks for my COA number, which my 3 year old son peeled off the sticker. "No problem," I thought, I called Dell, the manufacturer, but they said because it's OEM it doesn't need the COA and that I installed XP wrong...and for $49 they will tell me how to correctly reinstall it. The person on the phone refused to just give me the COA number and I refuse to pay $49 dollars for something that is mine anyway.

I have reinstalled the OS before, and don't remember being asked for the COA, so I guess I made a mistake. How do I properly reinstall XP so that it recognizes itself?

Thanks.

Edited by tisoy505, 31 December 2009 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you use a recovery CD from Dell that is made for the computer OR did you use a OEM version of XP?

The recovery will load everything for you.
The OEM original will need the Product key which is 20 digits.
The product key will be on the install CD or on a tag on the computer.

tisoy505

tisoy505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The CD says it is the Reinstallation CD MS Windows Home Edition SP2. It also says it should only be used to reinstall the OS. There was a tag on the case but my son peeled it off. The CD case does have a 20 digit number on it but it is in a different format then I expect.

It is: CA-OMWXXX-602XX-XXX-06OX, the "X" are inplace of the numbers...I assume that I don't want to paste those numbers in full. I will try this but I'm sure that is incorrect.

tisoy505

tisoy505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Good news, I saved the sticker and had forgotten about it. So I am up and running. Thanks for the help though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible