Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Critical Stop" sound on boot up

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Just recently in the middle of booting up my laptop I get that Windows one chord clunk sound (which I think is called 'Critical Stop'.

It doesn't appear to affect anything as the boot up proceeds as normal but I'd like to know why this happens and how to stop it.

Any suggestions please?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can get this type of error at the startup for many different reasons. I was getting one , every once in a while, from the microsoft intellitype mouse and keyboard software. Even installing the software from the cd that came with the KB-mouse did not solve that problem.

Generally you should have a memory dump file every time you have a critical stop. Here's Microsoft's site on how to read these files. If you have any it may tell you where the problem is.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

This could also be caused by 3rd party software on the startup. You can use msconfig in the run box to disable software to see if any are causing the problem.

Installing the run command in the start Menu

Open the start menu.
Right click in the dark blue at the botom.
Select properties.
select customize
select the advanced tab
In the start menu items field scroll down and check run command

SRX660

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that advice.

Looking at that Dump reading page it states that this is for when a computer actually stops working.
Perhaps I have called my problem incorrectly as 'Critical Stop' which I thought was the name of that MS sound which indicates an 'illegal' or 'inappropriate' action - a staccato single chord reminiscent of an exclamation point. I can't find in the 'sounds' menu a better name.

As after this sound the computer continues normally perhaps your approach won't reveal anything. I ask this before investigating this further.

I hope my clarification gives you another analysis for me. Much appreciated if you can.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Long shot, but try looking in event viewer.

Go to start....run....type in eventvwr.msc and hit ok.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you look in the C- windows- media folder in windows explorer, the windows critical stop wav file is there. Double clicking on it will play it to see if it is the right sound. If not try the other one's until you find the right one.

SRX660