Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory speed/timings setting

• Please log in to reply

Ja Ja

Ja Ja

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, my first post here.

I have very recently built a new system, with a few parts from my old system.

I put in a crucial ballistix kit of 2 x 2Gb so using 2 of the 4 mobo slots.
The package says its DDR3 ballistix PC3-10600 Cl7 1.65v W/XMP

Now CPU-Z tells me its CL is 9 (9-9-9-24 I think). The labels clearly state its CL7 (7-7-7-21 ?) How do I get the memory working at the timings its made for? The voltage in BIOS is 1.5v, I chnaged to 1.65V (went yellow)but this made no change in CPU-Z. So its back at 1.5v now.

I did manually change in BIOS the memory bus speed to 400mhz (auto setting was 667 as expected to give 1333) and this chnaged the timings to 6-6-6-21. I guess bus speed affects the number of clock cycles that pass, more pass in a set time for higher Mhz. But I would like to run mine at 667 mhz (for 1333) with a CL of 7.

I did see in the BIOS the memory timings were on auto. changing to manual brought up about 15 different timings you can set, all set at auto. I'm guessing this may have something to do with it, but 7-7-7-21 is 4 values not 15ish!!! If I did find the 4 among the 15ish and set them myself, the other 11ish would be auto. Would this then cause conflicts or slow the memory down so that it be pointless changing just the 4?

thanks

Advertisements