Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New 250GTS, no POST/ BIOS

• Please log in to reply

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently bought a new GeForce 250GTS 1GB and tried putting it in my system only to get not POST or BIOS. Just the beep code for an error with my graphics system.

Everything works perfectly fine, its just when i change my current graphics card for the one i bought. Then i turn it on, eveyrthing still runs, lights, fants etc except it puts my monitor on standby because theres no image. Hence im pretty certain everything else works. I have tried
- Double checking its seated properly
- Using one stick of RAM
- The other PCIe slot
- Different rails from my psu
- Messed a little in AwardBIOS(but i dont know what im doing there)

My current working system is
Asus m2n4-sli
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ AM2
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
2GB Kingston DDR2
550W EZCool PSU

Anything else you need to know ill try and tell you. I was going to try the card in another system but i cant do that until a later date. But any kind of help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try it in the other system is the first course of action.
This board has two PCI-EX 16 slots. I presume, to cover all the bases, you're using it in the top most PCI-Ex slot, not the bottom one? Some boards are fussy.
If the card has a 6 or 8 pin connector, that must be connected as well. Also look at the back of the box for the power supply rail requirements and compare them to what's printed on the PSU. Just because you have a 500w PSU doesn't mean it's going to power your card.

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Try it in the other system is the first course of action.
This board has two PCI-EX 16 slots. I presume, to cover all the bases, you're using it in the top most PCI-Ex slot, not the bottom one? Some boards are fussy.
If the card has a 6 or 8 pin connector, that must be connected as well. Also look at the back of the box for the power supply rail requirements and compare them to what's printed on the PSU. Just because you have a 500w PSU doesn't mean it's going to power your card.

It doesnt fit in my brothers computer, so i have no options regarding the potential to try it in a different system.
im using the top one (black) tried it in the bottom just incase but the same result.
It has a 6 pin but ill try and compare now.

Do you have any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is this connected to the PSU?
It has to be connected for the card to function.

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Is this connected to the PSU?
It has to be connected for the card to function.

Yes, i wasnt aware it could be connected to anything else other than the psu.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The card has to be powered by that connection. If it is not then the card will not start. This will cause the issue you are having.
Option 2 is the card is faulty.
Option 3 is the PSU is not supplying enough wattage to start the card.
Option 4 the PCIE slot is faulty.

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The card has to be powered by that connection. If it is not then the card will not start. This will cause the issue you are having.
Option 2 is the card is faulty.
Option 3 is the PSU is not supplying enough wattage to start the card.
Option 4 the PCIE slot is faulty.

Well fan works any everything plus the 6 pin splits into two 4pin to power it because it seems like its so power hungry. I have no real way of trying it in another computer so i dont think i can eliminate option 2 yet, how do you suggest i go about checking option 3 is not the cause? Option4 is not really a possibility seen as it works with my 7600GT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then your options are now down to 2 and 3.
Since you can't test the card in another system then the next option is what is left.
Can you borrow a known working PSU and make sure it is at least if not more total wattage then you have.
If not then the only option is to purchase a new video card and\or a new PSU

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Then your options are now down to 2 and 3.
Since you can't test the card in another system then the next option is what is left.
Can you borrow a known working PSU and make sure it is at least if not more total wattage then you have.
If not then the only option is to purchase a new video card and\or a new PSU

Arrghh i was afraid of that.... thanks for the help btw. Ill see what i can sort out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I;m willing to bet a PSU is probably what you need to replace. If you have a 500 watt what brand is it?
Even the same wattage in different brands can have different power problems.

GreyFox123

GreyFox123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I;m willing to bet a PSU is probably what you need to replace. If you have a 500 watt what brand is it?
Even the same wattage in different brands can have different power problems.

Specs are in my first post, 550W

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep if possible if the PSU is still under warranty have the shop check it out for 12 volt rail fluctuation and if total wattage is correct.