Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cain and abel

• Please log in to reply

neilmaclennan

neilmaclennan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i am interested in pen testing and so i downloaded cain and abel. as i was told it was an all in one sort of program. however every time i've ever run the program it has caused so much damage to my system that i have had to reinstall windows every time. and i can only run the program from safemode (i was using win xp pro corp) from a regular boot i cant run the program. also my antivirus goes ape when it finds it. why is it that cain and abel messes up your computer so much making it a program that's not worth the trouble to use. because of the damage it does to the computer it's run from. maybe i'm paranoid but because i only see the word cain under the program is it thew writer of the program that's abel and he takes control of your computer when you install it, or is it like the fable where abel kills cain ergo your computer? does anyone know of any virus/damage to host free pentesting software that runs under windows without having to buy an airpcap usb stick? and why does cain mess up your compuetr and are my paranoid suppositions true or false. and why wont windows run it from a regular boot. and is the damage the program does intentional or not? thanks and if this is too long winded then let me know if i should edit this post and bullet item the questons? thanks and if you cant help please reply that so i know if im being ignored or not.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well cain and able are 2 separate apps...and they're both VERY powerful when used CORRECTLY. and EXTREMELY dangerous when used incorrectly (which is probably what you're doing). your AV will go nuts when it detects it because for all intents and purposes it is a virus. you need to do some research before you attempt to use these apps.

because this site's main focus is malware/virus prevention/removal and security....we can't in good faith help you with this software...however there are A LOT of resources on the intertubes regarding the safe use of cain/able