I have a Dell xps, I shut down in hibernation mode as usual, then the next morning I pressed the MediaDirect button instead of the on button by mistake ( I never use the Media Direct). After exiting out of the MediaDirect, I pressed the on button and received the error message regarding the famous hal.dll either missing or corrupt. Here is an account of the steps I have taken to try and fix this issue til now, all with no success. Please review, and if there are any suggestions, I would Greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
1. safe mode (and a few of the other modes in F8)
2. Going back into MediaDirect and Exiting again.
3. Windows Recovery Console: chkdsk, bootcfg /rebuild, expand (with that whole string i386 etc)
4. will not respond to CD at the command prompt, to change from c:\windows> to C:
5. Just pressing enter with the Windows XP CD and not R: after following the prompts it does not list (or seemingly recognize) any Windows XP already installed, it just lists an unknown partition with a question mark, a C: partition, and a D(E?) partition. The choices are to select one and either install, delete or exit.