Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to upgrade video card...

• Please log in to reply

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi folks..

My new build is chugging along quite nicely, with one exception. When I go to watch HD video, especially very busy stuff (like school of fish scenes in 1080p Planet Earth), I'm back to stuttering video.

I guess that I need to upgrade from onboard video to an actual video card. Any suggestions? I'd want something where I won't have to worry about using up a lot of CPU cycles for video. I want the GPU to do most of the HD work (or at least something better than what I already have.

The list of my parts:

GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2H with Intel G41 onboard graphics
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

I've also got 4gb of RAM (ballistix- not tracers, can't find them anymore online).

Advertisements

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Anybody?

If it helps, my budget is about $100-150. Need/want HDMI.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150451

This card "seems" to be good. Has some good reviews, along with it don't require a "high end" power supply in case yours don't have the necessary power connectors.

My only concern is that your motherboard is 4x speed on the PC-X bus.

But it is an idea, I'd give it a few more days since most people might not be "awake" from new years yet or had the time really to get on the net.

Jon

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Turns out my stuttering video was due to the player being used. VLC stutters for me playing hi-def content. Believe it or not, Splash Lite plays seamlessly for me.

adanniels

adanniels

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well that was a good find that saved you a hundred bucks :)

Edited by adanniels, 03 September 2010 - 07:43 PM.