Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PSU recommendations

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Over the last six months I'd had alot of problems with my PC, which was very stable for about 18 months before that, after I built it. Then my GPU got fried, and after buying a new one, things have never been quite perfect. I get random shutdowns and sometimes the screen goes blank with pixelated spots while I'm gaming and the whole system freezes. This stopped for a while but has been happening more frequently recetnly, and happened before my GPU died, if recall correctly
Unfortunately we only have one computer repair place in town and they seem unwilling or unable to properly diagnose the problem (when my build died they told me the problem was the mobo, and I bought a new one before discovering it was in fact the GPU, as I first thought). So I can't know for sure, but I've grown increasingly suspicious that the problem is the PSU. It's a Truepower Trio 650. I have an athlon X2 4600+, 2 gigs of PC26400 RAM, and an HD 4870 GPU (I know this is out of sync with the CPU, but I had to upgrade when the old one died and thought I may as well get a good'un).

So I need a PSU not just with enough juice to run what I have but with some future-proofing for when I get around to upgrading my CPU and maybe even beyond. I'm thinking probably around 1000W. I did a quick search on my local online price comparison site (I'm in Denmark, so no NewEgg for me) and found some specs for a 1000W PSU (CoolerMaster Silent Pro I think it was) that has 8pin PCI-E connectors, with 2 attachable pins. Does this mean new GPUs are using 8-pin instead of 6, but 2 can be detached to allow it to interfact with the older GPUs? Are there any other compatibility issues I need to be aware of? Other than being able to run a good GPU I don't really have any special hardware needs, just the basics, RAM, CPU, optical drive.

So please educate me a little on what I need to look for and give a couple specific model recommendations.

Thankyou

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I use a corsair HX1000 Watt, Got it from new egg last year. This is the PSU I got http://www.newegg.co.....=corsair 1000 Works great, it is modular so you don't have to have cables plugged in that you don't need. It also has plenty of PCI-E 6+2 power cords for a multi gpu configuration.

Since you can't use newegg.com try looking for CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX, Keep in mind it is huge at about 8-12 inches long

Edit:

To answer some of your questions, I know for a fact that on the corsair the PCI-E power cables are 6+2 which is a 6 block with 2 that can be attached or detached as needed. It comes with 2 PCI-E power cables built in which will run one card if they require two, with an additional 2 or 4 in the box (I forget).

Amperage is just as important as wattage, I know that the more amps out the back the better. With each rail (two total) putting out 40amps for a grand total of 80.

I am sure someone else will pop in with a suggestion or two.

Edited by amw_drizz, 05 January 2010 - 06:14 AM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Consider the Corsair HX1000W if you believe a new PSU will solve your problems. It is very efficient and built solidly.