Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing memory modules.......

• Please log in to reply

jod74

jod74

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone. I have a Sony VAIO PCV-RX755 desktop running Windows XP. It currently has 512 mb of RAM. Before I get into my problems installing the 2 new 512 mb modules I recently purchased from Data Memory Systems, there is something curious I have noticed about my system specifications. When comparing memory prices online some websites said that my computer was expandable to 1024 mb of RAM and had only 2 RAM sockets, while other websites said my computer was expandable to 1.5 gb of RAM and had 3 RAM sockets (?). For the record, my computer (VAIO PCV-RX755) does have 3 RAM sockets with one 512 mb RAM module preinstalled. Just thought I'd mention that in case that had something to do with my problem.

Anyway, after installing the 2 new 512 mb modules my computer boots up, windows briefly starts ( I get the "Windows is starting up" prompt) and then the computer abruptly restarts itself. This will basically keep happening over and over unless I manually shut my computer off. When I removed the 2 new memory modules the computer ran normal. One time I tried to start the computer in safe mode with the new memory. It seemed to boot up normally until a blue screen appeared advising me to turn off ACPI mode. Hmmmm?

Lastly, I have heard it is advisable to download the new BIOS update before installing memory. I went on the official Sony site and there indeed does seem to be a bios update available for my model computer. Is the BIOS really what is causing my memory problems? The Data Memory Systems website claimed the memory module was 100% compatible with my make/model computer.....could it not be? I'm a little worried about installing a new BIOS, looks like it could really screw up my computer, which has been running pretty well in the last year or so? What does this sound like????

One last thing, I have installed memory modules before on my old VAIO without any problems. Thanks in advance for your replies....

-JOD

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Crucial your computer (by that computer model) has two memory slots and takes a maximum of 1Gb of memory.

However it's entirely possible if the machine's had to go back under warranty at some point in the past that it's not the original board anymore but a similar board. If that's the case then what you've bought may not be entirely right for it. Therefore I wouldn't go entirely on what the model number says on the case.

Best thing to do initially is this:
http://www.crucial.c...nner/index.aspx

This should be able to give you an exact board model.

jod74

jod74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neil, thanks for replying to my post.

I downloaded and executed the Crucial Scan and amazingly my system has been identified as a VAIO PCV-RX740 series computer (it's actually a PCV-RX755) and recommends a different memory module than the ones I just purchased. Just about EVERY memory seller told me my PCV-RX755 VAIO uses PC2100 memory ( as does the official Sony VAIO site), yet this Crucial scan has identified my computer as a PCV-RX740 series ( it isn't), says it has only 2 memory banks ( it has 3), and is saying it uses PC2700 memory. Now I'm really confused.....

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Has this machine ever been upgraded before this memory?

jod74

jod74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, it hasn't. I went on the official Sony VAIO site a few minutes ago and BOTH the PCV-RX740 and the PCV-RX755 use PC2100 memory modules (according to Sony). I don't know why the Crucial scan would recommend PC2700 memory. Again, the Sony site says my computer has 3 memory banks ( it does) and the memory is expandable to 1.5 gb. Yet the Crucial scan is telling me something different ( 2 banks/expandable to 1024 mb).

What's funny is that my main question is still why my computer won't run properly with the new extra 1024 mb of RAM installed, but now I'm also curious why Crucial is recommending a type of memory for my computer that literally no other memory website has recommended. I wonder if one has to do with the other?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I'm not familiar with the Data Memory System service and compatibility as I don't live in the US but what I do know about Crucial is that they guarantee to sell you memory that the computer likes or your money back. Therefore they will only offer you memory that the machine likes.

Of course all this being aside, I presume you've tried each of the new modules on their own in the same slot that the original memory was in and see if the problems continue? What is the speed of your existing memory module, as it's generally not a good idea to mix and match memory speeds.