Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD stop code 24

• Please log in to reply

duffers

duffers

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello!

I've recently received a BSOD with the code 0x00000024 on my Dell Vostro 1000 laptop running Windows XP; having read the index of codes on here, I've understood this refers to a file format system or a hard drive error. New anti-virus and general malware programs can cause confliction aswell. I'm just trying to gauge what exactly caused the problem. It's not likely to be new software, as it has been running the same things since I first turned it on 2 or so years ago now. Nothing different has occurred over the past few days either to indicate a trigger. I have opened the laptop previously and had some difficulty closing it again with all cables attached so I'm thinking it could be this. As for what I've tried so far, I cannot re-enter Windows XP, whether through last configuration, Safe Mode or anything else. I have tried chkdsk /r as the f option wasn't available, using a Windows XP disc I have, though this didn't make any difference. Can anyone help me identify the actual problem and help find a solution?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

duffers

duffers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Appreciate the help, thank you.

As the files for the Fijitsu are executables, I take it I have to get into DOS to run them from a CD. As I'm not able to access Windows, will I be able to get into DOS? In any case, the link at the bottom of your post suggests using Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test if you've not any other options for a Fijitsu drive, would that be alright?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest using Seagates SeaTools diagnostics.
It has been proven to work with most drives but you could also do the Hitachi one.
I suggest getting the cd ISO file and burn it using the suggested Image burn program. This will ensure that the system will boot with the cdrom in.
Make sure you go in to the Bios and change the boot sequence to boot to the cdrom first and hard drive second.

duffers

duffers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Right, having run the Seagate diagnostic, it has said there are no errors with the hard drive, with both short and long tests giving the same results. Any ideas where to go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On to the next test.

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

duffers

duffers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The test hasn't finished yet, but after 4 or 5 passes already, 1 error has appeared. Is it just a simple case of opening the laptop and replacing the RAM then?

Again, I appreciate all your help. Thanks a lot!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The test hasn't finished yet, but after 4 or 5 passes already, 1 error has appeared. Is it just a simple case of opening the laptop and replacing the RAM then?

Again, I appreciate all your help. Thanks a lot!

Yes that is as easy as it is.
When you take the memory module out it should give you the specifications on what type of memory it is. If not you can Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.You will have to manually input your computer specs but it will give you the actual configuration for your laptop and what the maximum amount of memory you can have in it.

duffers

duffers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The RAM came today (cheers for the link) and I've installed it, yet I'm still getting stop code 24. The RAM is definitely installed as it's coming up on the boot up diagnostic screen.

By chance, I tried Safe Mode and saw a different error message, 7B. I read on here this refers to the boot section of the hard drive. Could this be in someway causing my 24 stop code?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BSOD?

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

duffers

duffers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Uh...obviously that can't help me as I've told you, I can't get into Windows to even run anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry and lets try something else.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.