Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format all partitons after malware attack?

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
My computer went down - probably with malware or the removal of... - Then I've formatted the partition with the OS, that being the c:drive - anyways the computer has 3 partitions, which I've kept. A small one and 2 larger ones. The large one not containing the OS is still contains music.

My question is, would it be safe to keep the 2 untouched partions as they are, only formatting the c:drive? Or would it be wise, considering it went down because of malware, to format all partitions? I guess malware and such only attacks the OS?

Advertisements

lp098

lp098

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i would suggest going to the malware removal forum if you have any doubt that it is still on your compute etc..., they will address this problem when they get there.

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The best idea is unquestionably the complete all-partition formatting. To avoid loss of valuable data, I highly recommend you to create System Backup DVDs in every 6 months (or at least in every year), which would contain installer files, documents, and everything you want to save from being erased completely. Once you're 100% sure all your valuable data are safe, THEN you can do a full formatting. This is the safest thing to do in my opinion, and system backup DVDs come VERY handy in case of a system crash also.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Through Linux Puppy I moved a lot of what I hadn't made backups of already. In the future surely I'd be better at making backups as I go... I just liked the idea of moving some of the stuff to other partitions instead - of course if infections might spread there as well that probably isn't the best of ways.

Do I format the other drives like my OS drive? - through the Windows Cd?

By the way - I've made this same topic in the malware forum after lp098's advice - http://www.geekstogo...ve-t264151.html