Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo upgrade for HP media center pc

• Please log in to reply

woodsman

woodsman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, here's the situation. Been having a weird computer problem for a while. Computer will freeze on bootup after being off overnight. Once it's warmed up, no problems. I did tons of research and figured, ok, it's a power supply problem. I finally bought a shiny new OCZ StealthXStream 400W PSU and threw it in. The power supply works great!. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem.

So now I'm thinking maybe I need a new motherboard and processor. I have an HP m1195c Media Center pc. It has an Asus Puffer motherboard with a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor. What I'd like to do is upgrade the motherboard and processor and be able to keep the HP case. It would also be nice if I could still use my DDR PC3200 memory.

Must also have support for PCI-E graphics for later upgrade.

Any suggestions from those more knowledgeable about computers? I've done some research, but got a little overwhelmed. When I built my first computer way back in 2000, all I had to worry about was socket A or 775, pentium, celeron, athlon, etc. I haven't kept up, now I don't know what's what with core i7, duo, quad, ad infinitum. :)

Advertisements