Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP error

• Please log in to reply

spencermed

spencermed

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So, originally I had this problem:

windows/system32/config/system file is missing or corrupt. You can attempt to repair this file be starting windows setup using origional setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

But, I didn't have the recovery disc. Well I took out my hdd and copied all my files onto another computer as per another post taught me, now I found the recovery disc and followed the directions to repair or restore my computer and then a blue screen comes up that says:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive(file):
\systemroot\system32\config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

So my question is, how can I fix this and start my computer? Like I said I copied all my files to another computer so I don't care if I lose my files, but how do I fix it?

Do I need a new hdd?

For reference the broken comp is a Gateway Laptop MX6912 running on WinXP its hdd is a Fujitsu Model MHV2100BH

Other comps in the home are a Gateway Desktop running WinXP and another Gateway Laptop running Win7

Thank you, and Happy New Year.

P.S. I am not tech savvy so please keep that in mind for your explanation.

Advertisements

spencermed

spencermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

So, originally I had this problem:

windows/system32/config/system file is missing or corrupt. You can attempt to repair this file be starting windows setup using origional setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

But, I didn't have the recovery disc. Well I took out my hdd and copied all my files onto another computer as per another post taught me, now I found the recovery disc and followed the directions to repair or restore my computer and then a blue screen comes up that says:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive(file):
\systemroot\system32\config\DEFAULT
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

So my question is, how can I fix this and start my computer? Like I said I copied all my files to another computer so I don't care if I lose my files, but how do I fix it?

Do I need a new hdd?

For reference the broken comp is a Gateway Laptop MX6912 running on WinXP its hdd is a Fujitsu Model MHV2100BH

Other comps in the home are a Gateway Desktop running WinXP and another Gateway Laptop running Win7

Thank you, and Happy New Year.

P.S. I am not tech savvy so please keep that in mind for your explanation.

If I get a new hard drive would that fix things or will it just happen again when I put the system restore disc in?