Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

asms

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
yes, the cd rom was already set in the first position

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you are going to have to borrow a XP cd of the same type that is on your system for this to all work.
Home, Media Center or Pro
We can do a Repair or Parallel installation depending on how you would like to proceed.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've decided to call it a no go on this machine. The unit is 10 years old, I think the Hard drive has seen it's last day. No matter what we've tried the thing either shuts off or shuts off and goes into a .

Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well you can always replace the hard drive and start fresh.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
A friend suggested that I try to wipe the drive by reformatting, could you suggest a utility that I could use to reformat a seagate Hard drive. Can't seem to do it with windows recovery without the system shutting down and restarting on me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Using the Os disk will wipe the drive clean. You can take out the main partition then repartition, format and reinstall the OS from the same disk.

You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install pr Repair Installation of you OS.

Just click on the icon for your OS and you will get step by step instructions on what to do.