Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop for college?

• Please log in to reply

kookiee

kookiee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm buying a laptop for college cause i desperately need it, SOON, and it's my first time buying for my own. So i want a laptop that fits me the best for the best price as well.

I've researched a lot, and so far my standards are:

must be a lightweight laptop
4 gb memory
must be intel core 2 duo
2.13 ghz @1066 mhz or higher (cahe 3mb L2... or something like that)
320 gb hardrive (or higher) @ 7200 rpm
must have webcam and mic
must have bluetooth
must have hdmi slot
backlit keyboard (?)
must be energy star qualified
must have long battery life
fingerprint reader is a great bonus (: (i never get privacy in this house lol)
must have 2 yrs warranty
toshiba or asus (i hear they're the most reliable brands)
must be below $875

the only laptop that i have seen so far with ALL of those specs, is the toshiba e105 model. but it's like $800 without the tax and i think they've discontinued this or something so there's only a limited number of this laptop available. so now i'm wondering, is it really the laptop for me?

i tend to open a window with like 20 tabs in it, or like 10 windows with like 5 tabs in some of them. no kidding. mostly, i would only be using this laptop for homework, but i also like to watch (or sometimes make) videos. i also download music and upload videos and pictures. with them all combined, i have like 2300 of them in my usb's, and it's still gonna grow lol

i know that's a lot of work for a laptop, but i still absolutely, totally hate it when it hangs, or if it takes a long time to start up the laptop, or for a window to load or something :)

that's why i would like a laptop that's very fast and can multitask, and has a lot of memory too; a laptop that can handle me lol :)

my question now is, are the standards that i set up right for me? what exactly are the specs that i should be looking for? cause i'm afraid i set my standards way too high lol. the must have's are the ones that i do not want to change; it's the processor speed and memory stuff that i'm confused with.

it would be really helpful if someone can tell me what specs would be right for those purposes mentioned above so i can go look for the right laptop for me :)

also, i'm just curious. i've been fretting about the $800 because my parents tell me $800 is waaayyy too expensive for a laptop. but some people say, that's about the average. now i'm confused. :)

what is the ideal price for a laptop?

Advertisements