Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Fiesta/Win 7

• Please log in to reply

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My next suggestion that I have would be to check your BIOS version against Asus' website and see if you have the most up to date.

My only other suggestion would be to try pulling some of your memory ( maybe half ) and once again retest.

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
You mean yank one of my ram sticks and try it?

Edit: I went to Asus website and found the BIOS but the only thing I got was a file with a .rom extension. What the heck do I do with that?

Edited by Moeror, 09 January 2010 - 08:58 PM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Yes, remove one of the sticks of RAM you have installed in your computer and retry your stability.

Asus has a utility for upgrading your BIOS from within windows. It is called WinFlash. They have a tutorial located here to show you exactly how to use this utility.

If you do not have this installed on your computer, you will want to go to Asus' Website and download and install the ASUS Update V7.17.06 Install Program for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit. It is available under "Utilities" on their support site for your motherboard.

Hope this helps,

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
By retrying my stability, what do you mean by that?

I did the updater flash thing and it installed the bios.

Edited by Moeror, 10 January 2010 - 01:04 PM.

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP
Hi -

2 things, please -

1. Go to c:\windows\minidump, copy all files to another folder (like Documents)

2. Run msinfo32 - save as NFO file
START | type msinfo32 | save in default NFO format (NFO = file ext)

Zip up all of the mini kernel memory dumps + the NFO file and attach to your next post.

Hopefully, the memory dumps will yield a clue.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
retry your Stability - Retest your computer as to how it's running, are the blue screen problems gone, etc.

How is your computer running now that the BIOS has been updated?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
It ran about the same since the BIOS was updated. But I removed one of my RAM sticks and it seems fine for now. No blue screens or anything really.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Can you give me the exact part number of your Gskill memory. I'm thinking it has to do with the memory timing in your bios. That's why your machine is doing much better with only half the amount of memory in it.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK -

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Can you look in your BIOS and tell me what your memory voltage is set to?

G Skill is not real clear and gives more than one voltage.

The Newegg link for that exact model is stating 1.65V for this memory.

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
What exactly would it be labeled as? I went into BIOS and couldn't find anything and I have a few programs that give that kind of information, but what would it be labeled as? Vcore?

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You should see something like VMEM showing a voltage. It should say something similar to 1.5v or 1.55v.

You may also need to look at "Memory Over Voltage" It is probably set at "Auto" You will use the + and - key to change the value.

I would try 1.60v first and test your system. It should be quite stable with that voltage.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I don't see anything like that in my BIOS. Only Vcore, 3.3v, 5v and 12v.

Edit: I'm thinking you might be right about not being able to handle the memory. I've had the one stick I thought was the bad one in by itself for a while and no blue screens at all either. This is surprising.

Edited by Moeror, 13 January 2010 - 11:05 AM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Go to Advanced in your Bios. Highlight Jumperfree Configuration and hit Enter. The next screen will have something that says Memory OverVoltage. It will most likely be set to [auto]. Change it to Manual and set your voltage to 1.6v.

Exit and save out of the Bios and retest your computer. If it seems to be running much better and no bluescreens, I would then insert the second stick of ram and retest.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well I thought we had it fixed. Yesterday I didn't have any bluescreens whatsoever. But them came today....more memory_management or pfn_listcorrupt blue screens.