Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oddly Slow Download Speed

• Please log in to reply

Supreme Legate

Supreme Legate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
While downloading a big file I noticed that my download speed is rather slow, despite having DSL. So I did a test on my download speed, even picked a server near where the download was coming from.

Now according to that test I can download at 741 kbps, yet my download seems to stay around 90 kbps.

Why is this?

Could it have something to do with the fact I use a wireless rougher?

Well I tired to download the same file from another site, but there the speed was 12 kbps.

Also I know others who downloaded this same file, but they downloaded it much faster.

And I tested my connection speed and it too comes out in the 700 kbps range.

I even check my other computers speed, which is connect right to the modem, and while it too is supposed to be in the 700 kbps rang it also only downloads at 90 kbps.

Lastly I called my Internet provider tech support, Verizon, and according to them there is no reason for my slow speed other than the site capping me.

But that does not explain, at least to me, why no mater what site I download from why I still only download at 90 kbps.

Anyone got any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The average speed of file downloads on a 512k connection is around about 60kb/s. Therefore it follows that a 1Mb connection is around 120kb/s, a 2Mb would be around the 240kb/s. All of these figures are under ideal conditions, however due to internet traffic, overloaded servers and congested tubes, you very rarely reach such dizzy heights.

Therefore it follows that on your 700kbps, your download speed is near enough three quarters of that of a 1Mb connection, so 90kbps is about right. Your figure of 741kbps is the connection speed between your home and the provider, and this figure determines your download speeds.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you sure you are reading your units correctly? Speed tests typically measure speed in either kilobits (kbps) or megabits (mpbs) per second. When you are looking at the dialog box for your download, you are looking at kilobytes (kB/s) per second, not kilobits.

If you do the math, 741 kbps is 92 kB/s, so you are getting the correct speed, but different units.