Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on minimal resolution/color setting

• Please log in to reply

TBsmasher

TBsmasher

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So, when I got back from work today, I turned my monitor on, and it was just a black screen. Nothing would show up. I thought the computer had crashed, so I did a manual reset and when XP started up, it was at the lowest resolution setting and at 4-bit color mode. Nothing else was available in display settings. I tried reinstalling windows, and after I got past the blue setup screens, it got to the install screens, which appeared to be in normal color, but when xp booted up it went back to minimal settings. I've checked my drivers and they're all fine. I'm running out of options here.

Advertisements

eherr9633

eherr9633

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
1) have you tried right clicking on the desktop, selecting properties, selecting the settings tab and adjusting it there?

2) Have you updated your video drivers? click START >> RUN >> type devmgmt.msc and select the Display Adapters and update your display drivers. Alternately you could go to START >> RUN >> type in dxdiag and select the display tab. There you will find the name of your device and then check the manufacturers website for updated drivers.

3)Have you tried entering safe mode, safe mode with vga, etc., what does the video look like here?

It sounds like a driver issue and/or conflicting drivers. It might be that your video card's driver is fighting with windows video drivers. Also, update your OS as well. These files all need to be updated so everything can play nice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see if it will return your settings to normal.
Reboot and at the second post screen (Black Screen) start tapping the F8 key.
When you get to the Advance Boot Menu using the arrow keys scroll down and highlight the line that says Last Known Good Configuration That Worked and then pess Enter.
The system will reboot and hopefully use the correct video driver for you. Please let us know how it works for you.

eherr9633

eherr9633

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was going to suggest that but I dont think that would work since he re-installed the OS, am I right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be a hiccup with the OS or a fault video. It will make sure the system files are not the problem.

eherr9633

eherr9633

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ahh OK, Thanks for the clarification

TBsmasher

TBsmasher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, guys!
I've tried everything suggested except safe mode, which I just did, and the resolution and color settings are back to normal! So, it would appear this is a driver issue. So, what do I do from here?
Oh, and booting last good configuration didn't work.

Edit: I don't know if any of this will matter, but I'll throw it out there, anyway. I've had the Combined Community Codec Pack installed for awhile. I have run some h.264 files with it with no problems. Just before my display settings went bonkers, I was downloading some stuff from the Final Fantasy Shrine Forums. I was under the impression anything there was safe, but maybe I'm wrong?
Also, I was viewing a region 2 DVD in VLC player just before going to work. I had tried viewing it in Windows Media Player by changing the region setting. Suppose this changed settings for the drivers, as well?

Edited by TBsmasher, 08 January 2010 - 04:05 PM.

TBsmasher

TBsmasher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I just got some help from one of my friends on getting the latest driver for my graphics card, and it seems to have worked. What frustrates me, though, is why I didn't seem to find this through the driver update service in the device manager. If there's any other ways to find drivers other than through the device manager, I'm all ears. Otherwise, my computer's returned to normal for now. Thanks for lending an ear!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best way to update drivers is to go straight to the manufacturers website and check for the newest driver.
glad to hear everything is back to normal and now up to date.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you and thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for assistance.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 January 2010 - 04:51 PM.