And I've seen some computers (like mine) that don't have any svchosts running or very very few. I'm just curious.
I am not sure what you are driving at here.
Are you saying you don't believe the svchost is needed on machines like yours?
If so, I think you need to seek advice elswhere.
Maybe you are saying that you believe that svchost should not be so active.
Possible causes of this are malware (which we have run some extensive scans for) or some sort of bug in a recently introduced program reacting with svchost.
As far as malware is concerned you could try this I suppose:
It is a pretty big download at 28mb's but is very useful at detecting\cleaning rootkits or whatever it finds.
Please click here
to download AVP Tool by Kaspersky.
- Save it to your desktop.
- Reboot your computer into SafeMode.
You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
- Double click the setup file to run it.
- Click Next to continue.
- It will by default install it to your desktop folder.Click Next.
- Hit ok at the prompt for scanning in Safe Mode.
- It will then open a box There will be a tab that says Automatic scan.
- Under Automatic scan make sure these are checked.
- System Memory
- Startup Objects
- Disk Boot Sectors.
- My Computer.
- Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)
After that click on Security level
then choose Customize
then click on the tab that says Heuristic Analyzer
then choose Enable Deep rootkit search
then choose ok
Then choose OK again then you are back to the main screen.
- Then click on Scan at the to right hand Corner.
- It will automatically Neutralize any objects found.
- If some objects are left un-neutralized then click the button that says Neutralize all
- If it says it cannot be Neutralized then chooose The delete option when prompted.
- After that is done click on the reports button at the bottom and save it to file, name it Kas.
- Save it somewhere convenient like your desktop and just post only the detected Virus\malware in the report it will be at the very top under Detected post those results in your next reply.
Note: This tool will self uninstall when you close it so please save the log before closing it.