Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

420 wattage enough?

• Please log in to reply

:Linux:

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey guys, im in the process of building a gaming pc right now, and as a teen i dont have the $$ to crank out 500-600 watt power supplies or water cooling or anything of the sort

im doing a fan cooled system with the 6 series 6800 ultra vcard and 2 80 gig hdrives and a couple led lights a cd/rw and a dvd/rw

is 420 watts going to be enough? because it really sounds like its pushing the limit and i'd rather make sure now before i continue =p

thanks,

-matt

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it should be ok. the biggest issue with power supplies is the quality, and how much sustained power it can crank out. that is why we recommend the name brand supplies from the likes of antec, thermaltake, etc. they are quality built, will last a long time, and provide rated power consistently. they will last a long time too.
its a matter of you get what you pay for- $33 for a "580 watt" power supply with lots of pretty lights is not going to be quality.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
lol ya i understand completly. i dished out a pretty penny for this ps but i wasnt sure if i got the right level of needed power output. i have been reading up on some current pc's close to the one im building and alot of them had 500 wattage and even 600 wattage.

i know too much power can make the system overheat, but too little can cause just as much trouble down the road

thanks for the help though, its a good thing to get out of the back of my mind =)

-link

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
happy to help out, especially someone training on malware removal! :tazz:

Mimic

Mimic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Heres a great tool working out how much power suply you need, remember to add 30% extra:

http://www.jscustomp...r.php?cmd=INTEL

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
thanx mimic, great tool!