Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatibility inquiry

• Please log in to reply

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
also random question for you, if I bought a new mobo, would I need to buy a new CPU as well?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Like a slot to plug in more than one IDE connector? that would be a negative, unless you see something I dont

http://www.newegg.co.....D Motherboard

^^^^^^^black connector beneath where the main power cable goes(above SATA)

You are correct only one IDE connector on the motherboard.

also random question for you, if I bought a new mobo, would I need to buy a new CPU as well?

This would depend on the motherboard.
I found this one HERE at NewEgg which looks to be maybe a newer model then yours but has the same socket type. It also looks like it has 6 SATA where yours seems to only have 4.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
'cause I remember applying thermal paste and whatnot for cooling, for the CPU. Is that stuff like all like permanently attached to the motherboard? I understood what it was when I was doing when I built it originally but not why or how. And wow that's a lot cheaper than I got it for originally

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm about to leave for class for a while, but, do we have any options at this point besides to cross our fingers and buy new hardware piece-by-piece until it all works?

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 19 January 2010 - 10:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am leaning more toward a failing IDE controller then anything right now. I take it your hard drive is SATA correct?
If so then that would answer for the reason why it continues to work.
HEY another ideal... how about a SATA cd\dvd drive? That would take the IDE completely out of this scenario and you can get one of them for about 30.00 dollars. A lot cheaper then buying a new motherboard. :) :) :)

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh hey, that IS a good idea, Schaffer. I'm definitely gonna try that. The most obvious solutions always elude us. I'll let ya know when I get it and how it works. (wont solve the blackout issue but at least it'll be some progress right?)

I just think it's so weird because it worked absolutely fine, like everything else.
Until I reformatted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think it's just fate if it is the problem that it happened at exactly the same time.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Currently replacing the screen in the cracked laptop...hopefully will have one fully operational computer in the house soon -.-

Edited by Vimpoco2010, 19 January 2010 - 07:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is that the laptop model? I forgot what it is but i can try to find the remove and replace instructions if you would like.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Oh hey yeah that would be really useful. I got the bezel off but taking the screen out seems like a puzzle..

Advertisements

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
VGN-AR520E

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this set of instructions HERE

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay I've got that replaced. All is well

Now for this troublesome machine . . .

If the mobo is really broken than I'd rather just buy a new one than use something else :/ Is there a way we can test?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think the testing part you have done with changing the ribbon and the drive out a couple of times has been enough to verify the problem.

Vimpoco2010

Vimpoco2010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Alright I'm gonna buy a new motherboard. I ask of you a question and a favor:

- Will I need to buy a new CPU as well or can I take it out of my mobo and put it in the new one?

- What's an upgrade from my current board? I don't need top of the line but might as well move up