Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jerkign/stuttering

• Please log in to reply

trainstripes

trainstripes

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I have a fairly new machine with good hardware and when I play games I get jerking and stuttering in them. I thought at first that this was microstuttering because in COD4 modern warefare it's pretty darn consistent. But I read up on that and tried using my 9800gx2 in single card mode and that didn't solve the problem. I notice that in l4d2 when the stutter happens the framerate also does a blip astray from the solid 60fps. Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

My specs: asus p6t deluxe, core i7 920, corsair dominator in xmp mode, antec 900 gaming case, xfx geforce 9800gx2 factory overclocked, antec truepower 850 psu, 4 hard drives, with plenty of usable space.

Advertisements

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
just to confirm, you have all the latest drivers installed on your machine (provided they support Windows 7)???
and your motherboard has been flashed to the latest BIOS? i had issues with my machine with window 7, however i flashed the BIOS and all was good again!

trainstripes

trainstripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have all the latests drivers yes. Except for sound drivers which I had to kinda sort through with trial and error until I found one that worked with my surround sound configuration. The latest nvidia drivers certainly support windows 7. I haven't specifically checked whether my current sound drivers were written with windows 7 in mind. I figured if it installed fine, which it did, and it works with surround sound, then I don't want to screw it up since when I put the computer together I had a very hard time getting surround sound to work. Didn't work with the driver that came with the motherboard, and most of the realtek driver versions but I finally found a soundmax one that worked. I believe I have the most recent bios. If not I have one that is no more than a year old. I have a tv tuner card in my computer also which doesn't have quite the latests drivers but they're pretty recent. That isn't used in any gaming or anything though so it shouldn't matter.

trainstripes

trainstripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dude, omg you know what it was? It was a stupid corrupted windows file. I read online about stuttering in windows 7 and someone suggested running the system file checker, which I did. Now games run smooth as can be. [bleep]ing windows man, I knew it was something stupid like that.

trainstripes

trainstripes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Actually, all I fixed was the blip in the fraps solid 60fps but it still jerks. ):