Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How/where to store photos

• Please log in to reply

ttankofish1

ttankofish1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Where do you recomend storage of pics.I want to store all my photos in one spot In case of computer problems or worse a fire...I dont know,should you put them on some type of removable storage and put that some place safe or some type of web storage.What is mor economical and safeer.Can web storage crash or somthing?My wife uses picasa is that an option?Thanks fo any help.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello ttankofish1,

You can store files in loads of places. Most importantly, you'll want a backup of them, in case something does happen to them. If you are worried about a fire... well then the internet would be a great place to upload them to, as they cannot be harmed. Unless their web server is harmed, then you may have problems, but the likelihood of that is very small. If you are really worried about that, make multiple backups. Here are some links to places that you might find helpful:

An excellent guide:

http://www.geekstogo...-backup-part-1/
(Read this one, has very good information!)

A review of online storage services:

http://online-storag...tenreviews.com/
(I have used Adrive and Box.net in the past, and I had no problems with them!)

Keep in mind, when uploading tons of pictures to the internet, you will need either a fast upload speed, or a lot of patience.. If you have dial-up, don't even try it. You can test your upload speed here, and calculate how much time it will take, depending on how much you need to upload.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Perhaps go buy an external hard drive, put the pictures on it, and then lock it in a fireproof safe? :) Hope I could be of some assistance.

-Jason

ttankofish1

ttankofish1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the info.I will read the info you provided and make a decision.The safe could idea could work to as I already have a good fire rated safe.Thanks

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
You are very welcome. There are some very good deals out there for external hard drives, with terabyte (!) drives for little over a hundred dollars :) What ever you choose to do - I'm glad I could help, and if you need anything else, don't be afraid to ask. Best regards,

-Jason

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should have multiple copies on different media such as CD/DVD's and hard drives.
Because the question that is still being asked (as you have), what is the best.
Also, what will last the longest. I don't think anyone has a definitive answer.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Been to lots of photo workshops. Really the only way to make sure you will always have the photo is to print it out. But then they could be damaged in a house fire. I have them on an external drive, but those fail as well. I have started uploading mine to Shutterfly as well. I think someone suggested multiple places, and that seems to be the best piece of advance.